Contour integral and delta function

In summary, this theorem states that a function can always be integrated over a domain in such a way that the integral is independent of the particular domain chosen."
StatusX
Homework Helper
I have two related questions. First of all, we have the identity:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ikx} dk = 2 \pi \delta(x) [/tex]

I'm wondering if it's possible to get this by contour integration. It's not hard to show that the function is zero for x non-zero, but the behavior at x=0 is bugging me.

Next, you can similarly derive something like:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{ikx} dk = \frac{i}{x} + \pi \delta(x) [/tex]

Now if I integrate both sides with respect to z, I get:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{ikx} \frac{dk}{k} = - \ln(x) + i \pi \theta(x) [/tex]

But the integral on the LHS can be rewritten with a change of variables so that it doesn't depend on x. How can this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Contour Integration? Sounds interesting, but I can't guess which representation of the delta function would make the connection. Maybe you will have some luck looking for a proof involving this related fact:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransformDeltaFunction.html

Mathworld gives the citation

Bracewell, R. "The Impulse Symbol." Ch. 5 in The Fourier Transform and Its Applications, 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, pp. 69-97, 1999.

which sounds like an interesting read.

Anyone?

Ok I apologize for not giving a very well-thought-out answer but I'm in a bit of a hurry. I'll come back later and try to give you some more detail.

So, I am not entirely sure what you're trying to do. I personally feel it is a mistake to treat the delta function like a regular function and to write non-convergent integrals and treat them the same way you would convergent ones. The delta function is actually a distribution (it is a tempered distribution) and I find that the best way to view distributions is as linear functionals on a space of test functions. (You can also think of them as "limits" of sequences of functions which are bounded in L^2 but not L^\infty. This may be somewhat more intuitive.)

Anyway the advantage to either of these views is that it allows you to handle distributions the way you would any other function (by messing with the test function/with the functions in the sequence rather than the distribution directly). Then you should be able to see why these sorts of results hold. It may also help you figure out what's going on in your last line.

Regarding contour integration: probably not helpful, except to the extent that you kinda use that to prove stuff about the Fourier transform...

As I said I'll come back and see what's actually going on later after lunch and a meeting.

Well, not entirely like other functions; multiplying delta functions is a well-known recipe for disaster, for example (although multiply Heaviside functions is just fine).

StatusX said:
Now if I integrate both sides with respect to z, I get:

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{ikx} \frac{dk}{k} = - \ln(x) + i \pi \theta(x) [/tex]

But the integral on the LHS can be rewritten with a change of variables so that it doesn't depend on x. How can this be?
OK it looks like you've exchanged the order of integration, but your integral doesn't actually converge. That's why you have a problem. See "[URL article[/URL] on Fubini's theorem.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral that is evaluated along a specified path or contour in the complex plane. It is often used to calculate the value of a function over a closed curve.

How is a contour integral related to the delta function?

The delta function is often used in conjunction with contour integrals to help evaluate them. The delta function acts as a "spike" at a certain point along the contour, allowing for easier calculation of the integral.

What is the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the value of a function at a point inside a contour to the values of the function on the boundary of the contour. It is often used in conjunction with contour integrals.

What are some real-world applications of contour integrals and delta functions?

Contour integrals and delta functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used in the study of fluid flow, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

Are there any limitations to using contour integrals and delta functions?

One limitation of contour integrals and delta functions is that they can only be used for certain types of functions, such as those that are analytic in the complex plane. They also require careful consideration of the contour chosen for evaluation.