1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour integration problem-(sinx/x)^2

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1
    contour integration problem--(sinx/x)^2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am to evaluate the integral of (sinx/x)^2 from -infinity to +infinity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew my contour as a large half circle in UHP, and this contour then includes the singularity at the origin.

Using a trig identity, I can rewrite sin^x : 0.5(1-cos(2x))

Since we're working in the UHP, I then rewrite the integral: Real part of 0.5*int((1-e^(2iz))/z^2)dz from -inf to +inf

There is a second order pole at the origin. The residue here is a-= 0.5*(d/dz){(z^2*(1-e^(2iz)))/z^2)} evaluated as z-->0, = 0.5*-2i*e^(2i*0)=-i.

Since the part enclosing the singularity is a half circle, the integral should be pi*i*a-=pi. But the answer is supposed to be pi/2.

I apologize for the lack of LaTeX. Could somebody please give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2
    Re: contour integration problem--(sinx/x)^2

I now see that the error could possibly be that in converting the cosine to exponential form, I missed a factor of 1/2. But how come I have solved other problems correctly without that factor? See for example, the problem right before "Solution 13.18" on this document: http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~sean/applied_math.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 1, 2011 #3

That's just a simple pole. Expand it as a power series to see that.

5. Oct 1, 2011 #4

Ah, okay, indeed it is a simple pole. But when I do the problem again, I still get pi. See the attached pdf.

6. Oct 1, 2011 #5

Here's the pdf:

Attached Files:

7. Oct 1, 2011 #6

I get pi too and that's what Mathematica gives also.

8. Oct 1, 2011 #7

Hmmm. Arfken & Weber problem 7.1.12 asks me to prove that it's pi/2. Possible typo?

9. Oct 1, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In my copy of Arfken (3rd edition), it's problem 7.2.12, and the limits on the integral are from 0 to infinity.

10. Oct 1, 2011 #9

It must be a typo then. In the 6th edition, the limits are from -infinity to +infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook