Contours, integration and connected sets

In summary, the book says that the integral for any closed contour in which f(z) is path connected and analytic =0 is equal to 2πi, but when I integrate using γ(t)=e^it I get the right answer. When I apply the fundamental theorem of calculus and use the antiderivative of 1/z = Lnz, I get Ln(1)+2πi+Kπi-Ln(1)-0πi+πKi. However, when I apply the same reasoning to f(z) =1/z^2, with the unit circle, F(z) is analytic in the unit circle but not path connected because it is not defined at z
oddiseas
1. I am having trouble grasping cauchys theorm. To my understanding the integral for any closed contour in which f(z) is path connected and analytic =0.

Homework Equations

Example 1:
Now the integral around the unit circle for 1/z. In the unit circle 1/z is anlaytic for all z, but not path connected because when z=0 1/z is not defined. Therefore the integral does not equal zero and is equal to 2πi. I am confused about the following.

1) is my reasoning correct?

2) the book says that this integral is equal to 2πi. However when i integrate using γ(t)=e^it i get the right answer. When i apply the fundamental theorm and use the antiderivative of 1/z = Lnz and evaluate from 0 to 2π. I get Ln(1)+2πi+Kπi-Ln(1)-0πi+πKi. Now since o and 2π give the same argument doesn't this equal zero?

3) if indeed the integral of any analytic function in a path connected set is zero. Applying this reasoning to f(z) =1/z^2. With the unit circle. F(z) is analytic in the unit circle but not path conneceted because it is not defined at z=0. To my understanding it should thus not equal zero. But it Does equal zero when i compute it. These apparent contradictions are doing my head in so if anyone understands this i would like some help.

My concern is : I can solve these things no problem. I know that for 1/z^2+1 i can factorise the denominator and integrate in two regions where z+i, and z-i are analytic, but the above two examples seem to contradict my reasoning. So now i am confused and i am worried because if i am confused now i will be totally confused in an exam!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
oddiseas said:
1. I am having trouble grasping cauchys theorm. To my understanding the integral for any closed contour in which f(z) is path connected and analytic =0.

Homework Equations

Example 1:
Now the integral around the unit circle for 1/z. In the unit circle 1/z is anlaytic for all z, but not path connected because when z=0 1/z is not defined.

And therefore is NOT "analytic for all z in the unit disk" (inside the unit circle). What you mean is that 1/z is analytic in the "punctured" disk: [itex]\{(x,y)|0< x^2+ y^2\le 1\}[/itex]. Also both the disk and punctured disk are path connected since it is possible to draw a continuous curve from any point inside the set to any other point inside the set without leaving the set. The punctured disk is not simply connected since there exist a closed path (any circle about the origin) that cannot be contracted to a point inside the set.

Therefore the integral does not equal zero and is equal to 2πi. I am confused about the following.

1) is my reasoning correct?

2) the book says that this integral is equal to 2πi. However when i integrate using γ(t)=e^it i get the right answer. When i apply the fundamental theorm and use the antiderivative of 1/z = Lnz and evaluate from 0 to 2π. I get Ln(1)+2πi+Kπi-Ln(1)-0πi+πKi. Now since o and 2π give the same argument doesn't this equal zero?
They "give the same argument" but are NOT the same number so, no, this is not 0. A better way to do this integral is:
On the unit circle, [itex]z= e^{i\theta}[/itex] so [itex]dz= ie^{i\theta}d\theta}[/itex] and
[tex]\int \frac{dz}{z}= \int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\frac{i e^{i\theta}d\theta}{e^{i\theta}}[/tex][tex]= \int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi} i d\theta= 2\pi i[/tex]

3) if indeed the integral of any analytic function in a path connected set is zero. Applying this reasoning to f(z) =1/z^2. With the unit circle. F(z) is analytic in the unit circle but not path conneceted because it is not defined at z=0. To my understanding it should thus not equal zero. But it Does equal zero when i compute it. These apparent contradictions are doing my head in so if anyone understands this i would like some help.
"If A then B" does NOT imply "if not A then not B". "If F(z) is analytic in the unit disk then the integral around the unit circle is 0" does NOT imply "If F(z) is NOT analytic in the unit disk then the integral around the unit circle is NOT 0". If F(z) is NOT analytic then you do not know whether the integral is 0 or not without actually doing the integral.

My concern is : I can solve these things no problem. I know that for 1/z^2+1 i can factorise the denominator and integrate in two regions where z+i, and z-i are analytic, but the above two examples seem to contradict my reasoning. So now i am confused and i am worried because if i am confused now i will be totally confused in an exam!

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to be more careful about your terms:
1: Distinguish between "circle" and "disk".
2: Distinguish between "disk" and "punctured disk"
3: The punctured disk is "path connected"; it is not "simply connected".

Lets say the function f(z) =1/z. It is entirely analytic in the disk y(t)=2+e^it.So it is zero. What if i am asked to calculate it and show that it is zero. Then i would need to use Inz.

Now this function cannot be evaluated with the method you showed me. so i would need to use a substitution where u=2+e^it. and then i would get {Ln(2+e^i2π+2kπi)-Ln(2+0π+2kπ)

I am just trying to figure out cases that are not the "norm" because i know from experience that's the type of question you get in an exam.The books i am using are advanced engineering mathematics, and complex analysis< shaum series> they seem to just go through the most common type examples.

1. What are contours, integration, and connected sets?

Contours refer to curves or lines that connect points of equal value on a surface. Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid shape. Connected sets are regions in a mathematical space where all points are connected in a continuous manner.

2. How are contours, integration, and connected sets related?

Contours, integration, and connected sets are all concepts used in mathematics to analyze and describe shapes and spaces. Contours can be integrated to find the area or volume of a shape, and connected sets can help determine the boundaries and relationships between different shapes.

3. What is the importance of studying contours, integration, and connected sets?

Studying these concepts can provide insights into the behavior of mathematical functions and geometric shapes. They are also useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where they can be used to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

4. What are some practical applications of contours, integration, and connected sets?

These concepts have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, where they are used to create realistic 3D models of objects and terrain. They are also used in geographic information systems to analyze and map geographical data. In engineering, they are used to design structures and optimize their shape for maximum strength and efficiency.

5. Are there any challenges associated with working with contours, integration, and connected sets?

Yes, there can be challenges in accurately and efficiently calculating integrals for complex functions and shapes. Determining the boundaries and connectivity of sets can also be difficult in certain cases. However, with proper mathematical techniques and tools, these challenges can be overcome.