1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Contraction of a tensor to produce scalar

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain how it is possible to perform a contraction of the tensor
    ##T^{\beta \gamma}_{\delta \epsilon}## in order to produce a scalar T

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    $$T^{\beta \gamma}_{\delta \epsilon}T_{\beta \gamma}^{\delta \epsilon}=T$$

Not sure if that is correct? Also not used the forums in a while so not sure im using the LaTex correctly here.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can tell you are not using LaTeX properly, just by reading your own message. For in-line formulas and equations, use "# #" (with no space between the two #s) instead of "$" at the start and end of you object. Also: spell out the actual names of the Greek symbols, so that β is "\beta" (backslash + 'beta'), etc. For your first formula this gives ##T^{\beta \gamma}_{\delta \omicron}## (if the object "ǫ" is an ##\omicron##---I could not figure it out).

For a displayed formula or equation, just use two $ signs (with no space between them) at the start and the end. That gives
    $$T^{\beta \gamma}_{\delta \omicron}T_{\beta \gamma}^{\delta \omicron} = T$$
    You can right-click on a formula or equation and ask for display as TeX, to see the commands used in the above two examples.

4. Dec 1, 2017 #3
    Thanks Ray, i just edited the equation but cant see why its not displaying correctly? edit: i see now, sorry. Is that correct to say then that the covariant multiplied by the contravariant will reduce it to a scalar?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted