Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contravariant derivative tensor problem

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1
    Tensor [tex]\left (
    \begin{array}{cc}
    1\\1
    \end{array}
    \right )[/tex] is [tex]T=T^\alpha_\beta \omega^\beta \otimes \vec e_\alpha[/tex]Why is contravariant derivative tensor [tex]\left (\begin{array}{cc}1\\1 \end{array}
    \right )[/tex]
    [tex]V^\alpha_{;\beta}\vec {e_\alpha}[/tex] - contravariant derivative

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand the question. What do you mean by contravariant derivative? Do you mean covariant? What do you mean by those matrices? Are you saying that the components of T in the basis you're considering are (1,1)?

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
    I made a mistake I meant covariant. T is general tensor. I don't understand why
    [tex]\frac{\partial \vec V}{\partial x^\beta}=V^\alpha_{;\beta} \vec e_{\alpha}[/tex]
    can be associated with a (1,1) tensor

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

A covariant derivative is per definition a derivative which transforms as a tensor. Loosely, the covariant derivative of a tensor T adds another covariant index, so if T is type (k,l) then the covariant derivative of T is type (k+1, l) (I always forget the convention, but here the k is the number of covariant indices).

Here's a nice exercise: you know how the components of a vector V tranform:

[tex]
    V^{\mu'}(x') = \frac{\partial x^{\mu'}}{\partial x^{\nu}}V^{\nu}(x)
    [/tex]

You also know how a partial derivative transforms:

[tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\lambda'}} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\lambda '}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\alpha}}
    [/tex]

Now calculate the transformation the components of the partial derivative of a vector:

[tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\lambda'}}V^{\mu'}(x') = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{\lambda '}}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\alpha}} [\frac{\partial x^{\mu'}}{\partial x^{\nu}}V^{\nu}(x)]
    [/tex]

If you write this out, you'll see that this doesn't transform as a (1,1) tensor as you would naively expect on basis of the index structure of the expression. However, in derivatives you compare tensors at different points on the manifold and you need a certain prescription to perform this comparison: the connection [itex] \Gamma [/itex].

If you want to write things down with a basis, you can define the connection and the covariant derivative as

[tex]
    \nabla_{\mu}e_{\nu} \equiv \Gamma^{\lambda}_{\mu\nu}e_{\lambda}
    [/tex]

Here [itex]\nabla_{\mu} [/itex] means covariant derivation with respect to the basis vector

[tex]e_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu}[/tex]

This second-last formula states that the covariant derivative of the basis vector should be expressible in terms of your basis vectors. If you then write down a tensor in a certain coordinate basis, you can act on this tensor with the covariant derivative. For instance,

[tex]
    \nabla_{\mu} (V) = \nabla_{\mu}(V^{\alpha} e_{\alpha}) = [(\nabla_{\mu}V^{\alpha})e_{\alpha} + V^{\alpha}\nabla_{\mu}e_{\alpha}]
    [/tex]

Demanding that the covariant derivative acting on scalar functions gives the same result as a partial derivative (and some basic rules such that it obeys Leibnitz), you arrive at the same answer as in a component-only treatment.

Hopefully this makes things a bit clear :)

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the approach to covariant derivatives that starts with a connection. I'll quote myself (and fix a couple of mistakes at the same time):

The above only defines the action of [itex]\nabla_X[/itex] on vector fields, but note that condition (iii) above suggests a way to extend the definition to scalar fields. If we define

[tex]\nabla_Xf=Xf[/tex]

condition (iii) looks like the Leibnitz rule for derivatives:

[tex]\nabla_X(fY)=(\nabla_Xf)Y+f\nabla_XY[/tex]

So we choose to define [itex]\nabla_Xf[/itex] that way. Can we do something similar for covector fields? It turns out we can. Suppose that [itex]\omega[/itex] is a covector field. The closest thing to a Leibnitz rule we can get is this:

[tex]\nabla_X(\omega(Y))=(\nabla_X\omega)(Y)+\omega(\nabla_XY)[/tex]

so we choose to define [itex]\nabla_X\omega[/itex] by

[tex](\nabla_X\omega)(Y)=\nabla_X(\omega(Y))-\omega(\nabla_XY)[/tex]

for all Y. Note that this means that we define [itex]\nabla_X\omega[/itex] to be a covector field.

The same idea can be used to find the appropriate definition of [itex]\nabla_X[/itex] acting on an arbitrary tensor field. You can probably figure it out on your own.

Don't forget that the covariant derivative you're used to is the special case [itex]X=\partial_\mu[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook