1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Controls engineer seeking opportunity in astrophysics.

Tags:
  1. Oct 28, 2015 #1
    I am a controls engineer mainly with experience in distributed control system. I am looking for a job as controls engineer in astrophysics field. I though there must be opportunities in telescope facilities and other sensory arrays for space vehicles but so far I have come empty handed with google search. Does anybody have insight whee I could look for this kind of job? Any applied physics job seekers, or experienced people here? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Telescope facilities typically operate the telescopes but do not design the apparatus. You'd be better off searching National Labs or Universities.

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3
    Yes I see sime jobs at sandia and other labs but I havent seen a control engineer needed for astrophysics jobs. I think with my three years if experience I would have better chance getting into that niche than switching up field completely to optics or something.

5. Oct 28, 2015 #4

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Well, it is one hell of a narrow niche. I wish you the best of luck in finding something. The best route might be to identify some people working on telecope development projects and asking them. The JWST seems to be eating most of the US telescope budget so you might have more luck looking at Northrup Grumman (they do optics & space systems in Redondo Beach, CA) or a similar contractor.

6. Oct 28, 2015 #5
    Yes it is. I am not steadfast on it or anything but I am not sure how a complete career change will workout. I work o. Distributed control systems configuring the process so it is not design or instrumentation. I will look it to JWST.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook