1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I have recently observed a very strange thing (or rather, I shall say unexpected phenomenon). When I deposited some charged micro-particles between 2 electrodes (vertical plates) with a DC bias in hexadecane oil, I expected the negatively charged particles to go to the positive electrode. But somehow the particles started a convective motion between 2 electrode. Can someone shed some light into this for me? Thank you all.

Toby

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Whew, don't think i can answer that one. Until you get an answer, i would double check and make sure your experiment is set up correctly and nothing is interfering.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    What is insulating them from the positive electrode? Is it possible that you have some conductance so that when they get close to the positive electrode they pick up a positive charge and so reverse course for the negative electrode, where the same thing happens in reverse.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook