Convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias

In summary, Toby has observed a strange phenomenon where charged micro-particles in hexadecane oil, instead of moving towards the expected positive electrode, start a convective motion between the two electrodes. Toby is seeking clarification on the possible reasons for this unexpected behavior. Another member suggests checking for any interference or conductance in the experiment.
amicus_tobias
Hi all,

I have recently observed a very strange thing (or rather, I shall say unexpected phenomenon). When I deposited some charged micro-particles between 2 electrodes (vertical plates) with a DC bias in hexadecane oil, I expected the negatively charged particles to go to the positive electrode. But somehow the particles started a convective motion between 2 electrode. Can someone shed some light into this for me? Thank you all.

Toby

Physics news on Phys.org
Whew, don't think i can answer that one. Until you get an answer, i would double check and make sure your experiment is set up correctly and nothing is interfering.

amicus_tobias said:
Hi all,

I have recently observed a very strange thing (or rather, I shall say unexpected phenomenon). When I deposited some charged micro-particles between 2 electrodes (vertical plates) with a DC bias in hexadecane oil, I expected the negatively charged particles to go to the positive electrode. But somehow the particles started a convective motion between 2 electrode. Can someone shed some light into this for me? Thank you all.

Toby

What is insulating them from the positive electrode? Is it possible that you have some conductance so that when they get close to the positive electrode they pick up a positive charge and so reverse course for the negative electrode, where the same thing happens in reverse.

1. What is convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias?

Convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias is a phenomenon where charged particles in an oil-filled chamber are driven by an electric field created by a direct current (DC) bias. This convection can cause the particles to move in a specific direction, leading to various interesting effects and applications.

2. How does convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias occur?

Convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias occurs when a direct current (DC) is applied across the oil-filled chamber. The electric field created by the DC bias causes the charged particles to experience a force, leading to their movement in a specific direction.

3. What are the applications of convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias?

Convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias has various applications in the field of fluid dynamics and electronics. It is used in devices such as electrostatic precipitators, particle accelerators, and electrochemical reactors.

4. What factors affect convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias?

The strength of the DC bias, the properties of the oil and the charged particles, and the geometry of the chamber are some of the factors that can affect convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and presence of impurities can also play a role.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias?

One potential drawback of convection of charged particles in oil subject to DC bias is the possibility of particle aggregation, which can affect the efficiency and performance of the device. Additionally, if the electric field is too strong, it can lead to unwanted effects such as arcing and breakdown of the oil.