Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conventional square and triangular LEDs

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Could someone please differentiate this to me? "Why Conventional square LEDs are less efficient than triangular LEDs.

If any of you guys could help me out, or point me in the right direction, it would be a great help!

Thank you in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Yikes. I have an idea, but I need to know if this is a homework/coursework question first. We handle posts differently if they are for homework/coursework.

What is the context of the question? What are your thoughts on it so far? What factors go into the efficiency of an LED, from electrical energy to the final light energy that makes it out into the air?
  4. Jul 24, 2008 #3

This question i asked is neither coursework nor homework. I came along this question after perusing on some past year assignments which really triggered me. I just want to have a knowledge of the diffrences in the LEDs.
    My thoughts so far are: It has something to do with total internal reflection or snells law!!!
  5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

That was my thought as well. The most efficient would be the rounded top traditional LED shape (that's why they are round in the first place). To contrast the square and triangular shapes, you'd need to do some 3-D ray tracing to see what the exit path options looked like.
  6. Jul 24, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

light extraction from an led
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?