1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converge or diverge arctan [please move to calculus section]

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sorry wrong section!! should be in calculus!!

does this problem converge or diverge?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure where to start, i've never seen a series arctan problem before, is there a way to switch it around to look like i want it too, maybe with sin or cos. please help.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2
    Is you're question whether [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\arctan{x}[/tex] exists? My first instinct is to try for a series representation, but I'm not sure.

Come to think of it, by definition, the range of [tex]\arctan{x}[/tex] is [tex](-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] while its domain is [tex](-\infty, \infty)[/tex], so, not only does [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}\arctan{x}[/tex] exist, it equals [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    Okay, so I know the limit is pi/2, so is there a series test i can use to prove this?
  5. Jan 16, 2008 #4
    I don't know (>_<), but it's kind of not something that needs to be proven since it's part of the definition.
  6. Jan 16, 2008 #5
    So if i show the definition as work, would you believe that to be enough? thanks for all the help.
  7. Jan 16, 2008 #6
    also, could i show this using the squeeze theorem with bounds -pi/2 and upper bound pi/2
  8. Jan 20, 2008 #7
    anyone else who can comment on whats been said here please?
  9. Jan 20, 2008 #8
    You could.

arctan(x) = x - x^3/3 + x^5/5 - x^7/7 + x^9/9 - ... (-1 < x < 1) is the maclaurin series for it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?