Converting parametric to cartesian

In summary, to find the Cartesian equation of x = (1/2)cos(θ) and y = 2sin(θ), you can use the trigonometric identities sin(arctan(x)) = x/√(1+x^2) and cos(arctan(x)) = 1/√(1+x^2) to eliminate the parameter θ. Arrange the equations so that cosθ and sinθ are alone on one side and take the square of both equations and add them together to get the Cartesian equation 4x^2 + (y^2)/4 = 1. It is important to note that this is not the equation of a circle.
Calpalned
(This is actually a calculus problem, not a physics one, but physics is based on calculus, so I hope it's fine)

1. Homework Statement

Eliminate the parameter to find the Cartesian equation of x = (1/2)cos(θ) y = 2sin(θ)

Homework Equations

x^2 + y^2 = 1 (eq of circle)

The Attempt at a Solution

First approach: x^2 + y^2 = (1/4)cos^2(θ) + 4sin^2(θ) = ?
I can't get rid of θ because the constant preceding cosine and sine are not equal.

2nd try: y/x = 2sin(θ)/(0.5cos(θ)) = 4 * (sin(θ)/cos(θ)) = y/4x = tan(θ), so θ = arctan(y/4x)
But θ is still there. I need an answer in x and y.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is useful to note that

##sin(arctan(x))~=~\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##

and

##cos(arctan(x))~=~\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##

Do not assume it is a circle. It is not.

Arrange the equations so as cosθ and sinθ are alone on one side of the equations: cosθ= ? sinθ = ?
Take the square of both equations and add them together.

showzen said:
It is useful to note that

##sin(arctan(x))~=~\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##

and

##cos(arctan(x))~=~\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}}##
Thank you

ehild said:
Do not assume it is a circle. It is not.

Arrange the equations so as cosθ and sinθ are alone on one side of the equations: cosθ= ? sinθ = ?
Take the square of both equations and add them together.
Following your method, I got 4x^2 + (y^2)/4 = 1
My textbook doesn't have an answer key, but I am going to assume that this is the correct answer. Thank you very much

1. What is the purpose of converting parametric equations to Cartesian equations?

The purpose of converting parametric equations to Cartesian equations is to represent a curve or function in a different form. This can help simplify calculations or graphing, and make it easier to analyze the behavior of the curve or function.

2. How do you convert a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation?

To convert a parametric equation to a Cartesian equation, we can use the substitution method. This involves solving one of the equations for the parameter, and then substituting it into the other equation. This will eliminate the parameter and result in a Cartesian equation in terms of x and y.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations have several advantages, including the ability to represent complex curves or functions, the ability to easily manipulate and transform the curve, and the ability to analyze the behavior of the curve at specific points.

4. Can all parametric equations be converted to Cartesian equations?

Yes, all parametric equations can be converted to Cartesian equations. However, the resulting Cartesian equation may not always be in the simplest form and may require further simplification.

5. Are there any real-world applications of converting parametric equations to Cartesian equations?

Yes, converting parametric equations to Cartesian equations is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can help model and analyze the behavior of objects in motion, such as projectiles or orbits, and create complex and realistic computer-generated images.