1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence/Divergence and Monotonicity of a Sequence

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1

B18

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show the following sequence to diverge, or converge. Determine if monotonic.
    a sub n=n+(1/n)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that the sequence does diverge. I found this because the limit as n→∞ the limit is going to ∞ as well.
    I found that the sequence is monotonic by showing that a sub n is less than a sub n+1. I tried to do the first derivative test for this and was confused when I had the sequence decreasing from 0 to 1 and increasing from 1 to ∞. Wouldn't this make the sequence not monotonic? Just need an explanation to this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surely you could show ##a_n<a_{n+1}## without resorting to calculus. But the sequence only has values on the integers 1,2,... so it would still be increasing.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3

B18

So we are saying since sequences are only accountable for positive integers meaning the negative result on the first derivative test from 0 to 1 has no effect on monotocity.

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4
    Why did you try the first derivative test on a sequence??

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5

B18

To determine if the sequence is increasing or decreasing to show it is monotonic

7. Mar 20, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. And I'm also saying that using the derivative test on ##x+\frac 1 x## is way overkill, not to mention the fact that it confused the issue for you.

8. Mar 20, 2013 #7

B18

Would I be correct in saying this sequence has a lower bound of 0 but no upper bound?

9. Mar 21, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is ##a_n>0## for all n? What do you think? Is that the greatest lower bound?
    Is ##a_n > n##? Again, what do you think?

10. Mar 21, 2013 #9

B18

Yes I believe that 0 is the greatest lower bound. And after plotting a couple of points on a graph of this sequence it appears this is no least upper bound.

11. Mar 21, 2013 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem with "beliefs" is that they are sometimes wrong. And saying "it appears" is a long way from a proof. If this is a homework problem, you have a ways to go before handing it in.

12. Mar 21, 2013 #11

B18

Well because there is not an m that is ≥ a sub n this tells me there is no least upper bound. I know the greatest lower bound is 0 because the sequence never goes below 0 and therefore there is an M that is ≤ to all a sub n. according to my class notes this is as much evidence as I can provide. That we have learned thus far.

13. Mar 21, 2013 #12

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That argument shows 0 is a lower bound, but not that it is the greatest lower bound.

14. Mar 21, 2013 #13

B18

Do you have a quick explanation as to what makes a bound the least or greatest? Not seeing how 0 isn't the greatest lower bound when the sequence cannot go below that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  15. Mar 21, 2013 #14

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the definition for x to be the greatest lower bound of a set S of numbers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted