1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence/Divergence of (-1)^n(ln(n)/root(n))

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Σ (-1)^n(ln(n)/root(n))

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried all the tests, and the only one that makes sense to use is the Alternating Serioes Test. I know the lmit of ln (n)/ root (n) approaches 0. But not sure how to prove that ln (n) / root n is greater than ln n+1 / root (n+1)

I know the series converges, but not sure of the process in finding so.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Somnus. Welcome to PF !

I'm pretty sure that the series does not converge.

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    According to the answers in my book, the series converges.

5. Feb 4, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To apply the alternating series test you could show that for x large enough that the derivative of ln(x)/sqrt(x) is negative, so it's a decreasing function. It does converge.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. Feb 4, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK ! I stand corrected.

I'll take Dick's word over that of WolframAlpha. I had based my earlier comment on a result from WolframAlpha.

The convergence must be awfully "slow".

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not absolutely convergent if that's what you mean by slow. WA is easy to confuse if you don't think about the question you send it.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Feb 5, 2012 #8

Deveno

Science Advisor

Wolfram|Alpha appears to be just wrong on this one (and it's not a matter of "bad input").

provided one has shown that lim n→∞ an = 0 (and L'Hopital's Rule works well here), than Liebnitz's test applies, and to show monoticity, one can examine the derivative of:

a(x) = ln(x)/√x.

it's not hard to show that there is an N such that an is montonically decreasing for all n > N (N is even fairly small).

one caveat: the starting integer is not explicitly given, although given the nature of the series, 2 seems a reasonable assumption.

10. Feb 5, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have seen WA announce that a divergent series is convergent, giving a finite sum by reordering the terms. Perhaps here it is reordering the terms to turn a convergent series into a divergent one. I think it plays a little loosely with conditionally convergent series.

11. Feb 5, 2012 #10

Deveno

Science Advisor

i think it's just a bad algorithm somewhere (it's probably comparing it to some other divergent series, and mis-matching the terms. for conditionally convergent series, the way you sum the series matters very much). the fact that the first non-zero term is a2 may have something to do with this. i sent WA an e-mail, they may investigate, they may not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook