1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence / Divergence of a series

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the following series converge or diverge? ##∑\frac{n^5}{n^n}## (as n begins from 1 and approaches infinity)

2. Relevant equations
    Ratio test?

3. The attempt at a solution

For your reference, thus far I have learned about the geometric series, the limit test, comparison test, a bit about cauchy condensation test, and the ratio test. Thanks for your time.

I tried using the ratio test for this one and ended up getting the following:

##\frac{(n+1)^5}{(n+1)^{n+1}}*\frac{n^n}{n^5}=\frac{n^{n-5}}{(n+1)^{n-4}}=(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}*\frac{1}{n+1}##

(as n approaches infinity)

I'd like to find out if my work is on the right track so far. It certainly seems that the above limit is zero, in which case the original series converges via the ratio test.

Also, please let me know if a different strategy other than the ratio test would've worked out better. Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would use the ratio test. And that looks fine. But you should show why that limit is zero. Saying "seems that it does" probably isn't good enough.

4. May 13, 2014 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

I would use the comparison test: your general term [itex]\frac{n^5}{n^n}=\frac{1}{n^{n-5}}<\frac{1}{n^2}[/itex], (for sufficiently large n) a general term whose series is convergent.

Maybe I'm giving too much help here, pm me if you think so and I'll erase it...

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. May 14, 2014 #4
    Ok right...so clearly ##\frac{1}{n+1}## approaches zero as n approaches infinity...which leaves the other part of the equation:

##(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}##

I'm not sure how to find the limit of this equation as n approaches infinity...since the fraction part of it (without the exponent) approaches 1, does it mean the limit is just 1 as well?

In which case the limit of the whole thing would be 1 * 0 = 0?

6. May 14, 2014 #5
    Thanks for this! Sometimes I fail to see the forest for the trees...

7. May 14, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that limit isn't zero. The limit has the form ##1^\infty##. That indeterminant. You can either take the log and use l'Hopital on it, or you could write it in terms of a limit you might recognize (1+1/n)^n. What's the value of that?

8. May 14, 2014 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even easier: let ##t_n = n^5/n^n##, so ##L_n \equiv \ln(t_n) = 5 \ln(n) - n \ln(n)##. For ##n > 7## we have ##L_n < -2 \ln(n)##, hence ##t_n < \exp(-2 \ln(n)) = 1/n^2##, so ##t_n## converges, by the comparison test.

9. May 14, 2014 #8
    OK wait, the value of (1+1/n)^n is the definition of ##e##, I think? Which means...
    ##(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}=\frac{1}{e}## as n goes to infinity?

So then, continuing from the original post...
    ##Lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[(\frac{n}{n+1})^{n-5}*\frac{1}{n+1}]## becomes ##\frac{1}{e}*0=0##?

10. May 14, 2014 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted