1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a logaritmic series

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Analyze the convergence of the following series, describing the criteria used:
    [itex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=9}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(ln(ln(n)))^{ln(n)}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Wolfram Alpha says it converges due to comparison test, however I can't find to get a proper comparison. My main attempt was starting with [itex]\displaystyle ln(n)< n[/itex] and, starting from there, getting:
    [itex](ln(ln(n)))^{ln(n)} < (ln(n))^{ln(n)} < n^{ln(n)} < n^{n}[/itex]
    However, after getting their reciprocal, I manage to prove [itex]\frac{1}{n^{n}}[/itex] converges, but that is inconclusive. Any idea to which function I should start with to get the comparison test right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to show it converges, then you need to replace [itex] \ln(\ln(n))^{\ln(n)} [/itex] with something that is smaller than it, not larger. That means you need to think of a function which is smaller than ln(n) to replace some of those logs with.

It might help to remember that whenever there's a ln(n) in the exponent, you can do some algebra on it to rewrite your function!

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3
    All right, managed to get [itex]\displaystyle ln(ln(n))^{ln(n)} = n^{ln(ln(ln(n)))}[/itex]. Guess using [itex]n^{2}[/itex] as the comparison function would work, right? Because at infinity, [itex]n^{ln(ln(ln(n)))} ≈ n^{n}[/itex], therefore I would it should converge.

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think that it looks anything close to nn but I agree that n2 is a good comparison.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted