Convergence of a sequence of integers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
Fizz_Geek
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given a Cauchy sequence of integers, prove that the sequence is eventually constant.

2. Relevant Definitions and Theorems

Definition of Cauchy sequences and convergence
Monotone convergence
Every convergent sequence is bounded
Anything relevant to integers

The Attempt at a Solution



I can see why the theorem is true. I thought that, since the sequence in nonempty and bounded, the supremum and infimum of the set containing the sequence both exist and that the limit of the sequence must be a number between the infimum and the supremum. But I got stuck trying to prove that the limit is contained within that set (that the limit is also an integer). I don't know if it's my approach that's leading me to a dead end or if there's a theorem I've overlooked or something else entirely. Maybe I'm making it overly complicated? Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the definition of Cauchy sequence. Choose epsilon<1. Conclude.
 
Start from the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

It usually starts "For all epsilon greater than zero, [...]"
Can you choose an epsilon that gives your conclusion?
 
Mathnerdmo said:
Start from the definition of a Cauchy sequence.

It usually starts "For all epsilon greater than zero, [...]"
Can you choose an epsilon that gives your conclusion?


I'm afraid I don't see what directon either of you are going in. As far as I know, the definition of a Cauchy sequence allows me to make the distance between members of the sequence small--it doesn't make it zero, which is what I need for the sequence to be constant for large n.
 
Mark44 said:
The point Tinyboss and Mathnerdmo are making is that the sequence consists of integers.

And what does that mean for my proof?
 
Mark44 said:
It says that there is some minimum distance between elements in the sequence.

Oh! That's right! Thanks so much!