1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of alternating series

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let s be the sum of the alternating series [tex]\sum[/tex](from n=1 to [tex]\infty[/tex])(-1)n+1an with n-th partial sum sn. Show that |s - sn| [tex]\leq[/tex]an+1

2. Relevant equations
    I know about Cauchy sequences, the Ratio test, the Root test

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no idea where i'm meant to start with this question. I didn't know whether I thne have to take more partial sums i.e. partial sums of the n-th partial sum and work with it from there, or something else. I would be really grateful if someone could help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think your statement is true as you gave it.
    For example, let
    [tex]\begin{cases}
    a_0 & {} = 1 \\
    a_1 & {} = 0 \\
    a_n & {} = 2^{-n} \qquad (n > 1)
    \end{cases}[/tex]

Then s = 3/2, |s - s0| = |5/6 - 1| = |-1/6| = 1/6 which is not smaller than a1 = 0.

[edit]I had s = 5/6, I think it should be 3/2. Doesn't affect my argument though.[/edit]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. Mar 24, 2009 #3
    sorry i don't really understand that - how did you work out that s was 5/6? And did you just choose random values for a0, a1 and an? I have rechecked my homework question and that is exactly what it said!

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

CompuChip just gave you a counterexample. To prove your conclusion, you also need to assume that a_n is a nonnegative sequence decreasing to zero monotonically. That might be what you are missing.

6. Mar 24, 2009 #5
    okay, but i still don't understand how i'm meant to show the result, sorry. This question has got me completely flummoxed.

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by looking at the difference of two partial sums |s_m-s_n| for m<n. Try to show that's less than or equal to a_m+1. Write down the terms making up the difference and regroup them. This would show the sequence is Cauchy, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook