Convergence of Infinite Series

Can someone help me understand where I'm going wrong?In summary, the conversation is about finding the convergence and divergence of a series using D'Alembert's ratio test and Raabe's test. The series is a hypergeometric function and the book's answer differs from the answer obtained using Raabe's test. The mistake may lie in the expression used for U_{n}.
Vagrant

Homework Statement

1+ [tex]\frac{\alpha\beta}{\gamma}[/tex] x + [tex]\frac{\alpha (\alpha+1)\beta(\beta+1)}{1.2.\gamma(\gamma+1)}[/tex][tex]x^{2}[/tex]+...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using D'Alembert's ratio test, I get [tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex][tex]\frac{U_{n+1}}{U_{n}}[/tex]=x
so, x>1 diverging series
x<1 converging series
when x=1, Using Raabe's test I get
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}[/tex][tex]n[\frac{U_{n}}{U_{n+1}}-1][/tex]=[tex]\gamma-\alpha-\beta[/tex]
so, Series Converges if [tex]\gamma-\alpha-\beta[/tex]>1
and diverges if [tex]\gamma-\alpha-\beta[/tex]<1

However the book has given the answer to be
coverges if [tex]\gamma-\alpha-\beta[/tex]>0
and diverges if [tex]\gamma-\alpha-\beta[/tex]<0

Can anyone point out my mistake, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Raabe's test wtih x=1, I get
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}n\!\left({\textstyle{U_{n}\over U_{n+1}}-1\right)=\gamma-\alpha-\beta+1[/tex]

My expression for [tex]U_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1.\alpha...(\alpha + n-1) 1.\beta...(\beta+n-1)}{1.2...(n-1) 1.\gamma...(\gamma+n-1)}[/tex]

Using this I get [tex]\gamma-\alpha-\beta[/tex] from Raabe's test

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of convergence in infinite series?

The convergence of an infinite series is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of terms that are added together infinitely. It refers to the idea that the sum of these terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, one can use a variety of methods such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the root test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, and using their properties to determine the behavior of the given series.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence in infinite series?

Absolute convergence refers to when an infinite series converges despite the order in which the terms are added. On the other hand, conditional convergence occurs when the series only converges when the terms are added in a specific order.

4. Can an infinite series converge to more than one value?

No, an infinite series can only converge to one value. This value is known as the limit of the series and represents the sum of all the terms in the series.

5. What are some real-world applications of convergence in infinite series?

Convergence in infinite series has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to model how a system approaches equilibrium, or to calculate the value of a continuously compounded interest rate.