Convergence of sum of (3n²+5n)/(2ⁿ(n²+1))

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30

Homework Statement


Well, hi there. I have to study the convergence of the next series using the comparison criteria, or the comparison criteria through the limit of the quotient.

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\displaystyle\frac{3n^2+5n}{2^n(n^2+1)}}[/tex]

I think that I should use the comparison criteria through the limit of the quotient, so I think of using for this this other series:
[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\displaystyle\frac{3n^2}{2^n}}[/tex]

But I don't know how to determine the convergence/divergence of this series neither. I need some help.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement


Well, hi there. I have to study the convergence of the next series using the comparison criteria, or the comparison criteria through the limit of the quotient.

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\displaystyle\frac{3n^2+5n}{2^n(n^2+1)}}[/tex]

I think that I should use the comparison criteria through the limit of the quotient, so I think of using for this this other series:
[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\displaystyle\frac{3n^2}{2^n}}[/tex]

But I don't know how to determine the convergence/divergence of this series neither. I need some help.

Thanks!

Two words. Ratio test.
 
Thanks. But the thing is that it asks me to do it using a comparison criteria :P
 
Last edited:
[tex]\frac{3n^2+5n}{2^n(n^2+1)} \leq \frac{3n^2+5n}{2^nn^2} = \frac{3n^2}{2^nn^2} + \frac{5n}{2^nn^2}[/tex]

Now, what can you say about the convergence of the two terms on the right?