Convergent and Divergent Sequences

In summary: Yes, now write the whole thing out in the form of a proof. To prove lim cBn=+∞, you want to show given any K, there is an N such that cBn>K for...In summary, we are trying to prove that lim cBn -> ∞ = +∞ for a divergent sequence Bn with a limit of +∞, and a positive constant c. We start by using the definition of the limit, which states that for any value K > 0, there exists an N such that Bn > K for all n > N. We know that Bn is a divergent sequence with a limit of +∞, and therefore there exists an N such

Homework Statement

Please look over my work and tell me if I did something wrong.

Suppose Bn is a divergent sequence with the limit +∞, and c is a constant.

Prove: lim cBn -> ∞ = +∞ for c > 0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

lim Bn -> ∞ = means that for some value K > 0, Bn > K for all n > N.

If c > 0, multiplying all terms by a constant c > 0 will not change the fact of a limit of +∞.

cK > 0, cBn > cK for all n > N meets the definition of a divergent sequence with a limit of +∞ and thus, if Bn is a divergent sequence with the limit +∞, and c is a positive constant:

lim cBn -> ∞ = +∞

With an example (c = 1/2)
lim n -> ∞ = n/2
= lim n -> ∞ (1/2)(n) = +∞

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

Please look over my work and tell me if I did something wrong.

Suppose Bn is a divergent sequence with the limit +∞, and c is a constant.

Prove: lim cBn -> ∞ = +∞ for c > 0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

lim Bn -> ∞ = means that for some value K > 0, Bn > K for all n > N.

If c > 0, multiplying all terms by a constant c > 0 will not change the fact of a limit of +∞.

cK > 0, cBn > cK for all n > N meets the definition of a divergent sequence with a limit of +∞ and thus, if Bn is a divergent sequence with the limit +∞, and c is a positive constant:

lim cBn -> ∞ = +∞

With an example (c = 1/2)
lim n -> ∞ = n/2
= lim n -> ∞ (1/2)(n) = +∞

You should start with the correct definition of the limit. lim Bn -> ∞ = means that FOR ALL values K > 0, THERE EXISTS an N such that Bn > K for all n > N. Use that to show that there is a possibly different N that works for cBn.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
You should start with the correct definition of the limit. lim Bn -> ∞ = means that FOR ALL values K > 0, THERE EXISTS an N such that Bn > K for all n > N. Use that to show that there is a possibly different N that works for cBn.

Thanks for the help!

Would it suffice to show that cN and cn work?

939 said:
Thanks for the help!

Would it suffice to show that cN and cn work?

What do you mean by cN and cn "work"? Given ##K > 0## you have to show how to find an ##N_1## such that if ##n>N_1## then ##cb_n > K##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
What do you mean by cN and cn "work"? Given ##K > 0## you have to show how to find an ##N_1## such that if ##n>N_1## then ##cb_n > K##.

Thanks.

My final question is if you could tell me what exactly K, n, N, and bn represent on the graph (i.e. horizontal or vertical) just to make sure I'm not mistaken.

939 said:
Thanks.

My final question is if you could tell me what exactly K, n, N, and bn represent on the graph (i.e. horizontal or vertical) just to make sure I'm not mistaken.

Mistaken about what? You really still haven't really addressed the problem.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Mistaken about what? You really still haven't really addressed the problem.

Thanks, but I'm trying to picture what exactly ##n>N_1##, for example, or ##b_n > K## mean on a graph so it's easier to picture.

939 said:
Thanks, but I'm trying to picture what exactly ##n>N_1##, for example, or ##b_n > K## mean on a graph so it's easier to picture.

There's not really much to picture. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence. They have a graph. To graph ##b_n## you just put a dot at ##y=b_n## and ##x=n## for all n for which the sequence is defined.

Maybe better to think of an example. Suppose ##b_n=n^2## and they give you ##K=10000##. You should be able to figure out that ##N=100## is a good value for N since ##b_n=n^2>K=10000## if ##n>N=100##. Now take c=1/100. So ##c_n=n^2/100##. What's an N corresponding to K=10000 for that series?

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
There's not really much to picture. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence. They have a graph. To graph ##b_n## you just put a dot at ##y=b_n## and ##x=n## for all n for which the sequence is defined.

Maybe better to think of an example. Suppose ##b_n=n^2## and they give you ##K=10000##. You should be able to figure out that ##N=100## is a good value for N since ##b_n=n^2>K=10000## if ##n>N=100##. Now take c=1/100. So ##c_n=n^2/100##. What's an N corresponding to K=10000 for that series?

Thanks! I believe N = 1000 works for the series ##c_n=n^2/100##.

939 said:
Thanks! I believe N = 1000 works for the series ##c_n=n^2/100##.

Sure it does. Now forget about the n^2 example where you can just calculate things. Go back to the original question. If you want ##c b_n>K## then how large should ##b_n## be?

Dick said:
Sure it does. Now forget about the n^2 example where you can just calculate things. Go back to the original question. If you want ##c b_n>K## then how large should ##b_n## be?

Bn should be a value > (k/c)?

939 said:
Bn should be a value > (k/c)?

Yes. Now since Bn->infinity you know there is a value of N such that Bn>(K/c) for all n>N. What does that tell you about the divergence of cBn?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Yes. Now since Bn->infinity you know there is a value of N such that Bn>(K/c) for all n>N. What does that tell you about the divergence of cBn?

It tells me that cBn is a divergent sequence with the limit +∞, just like bn was, and thus it is true?

939 said:
It tells me that cBn is a divergent sequence with the limit +∞, just like bn was, and thus it is true?

Yes, now write the whole thing out in the form of a proof. To prove lim cBn=+∞, you want to show given any K, there is an N such that cBn>K for all n>N. Fill in the argument as to why.

Likes 1 person

What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single value or limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

What is the definition of a divergent sequence?

A divergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that does not approach a single value or limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

How can you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

You can determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent by evaluating the limit of the sequence. If the limit exists and is a finite number, the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, the sequence is divergent.

What are some examples of convergent sequences?

Examples of convergent sequences include the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ... which approaches 0 as the number of terms increases, and the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, ... which approaches 0 as the number of terms increases.

What are some examples of divergent sequences?

Examples of divergent sequences include the sequence 1, -1, 1, -1, ... which does not approach a single value or limit, and the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4, ... which approaches infinity as the number of terms increases.