1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergent/Divergent, find sum

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, find its sum.
    [tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{1}{e^n}+\frac{1}{n(n+1)})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I found it's convergent:
    [tex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} ((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{(n^{2}+n)})=\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} ((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})[/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty}((\frac{1}{e})^{n}+\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+1})=0+0+0[/tex]
    ∴ the sum is convergent.

Now how would I find the sum of the series?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Having a limit of 0 doesn't show it's convergent. (1/e)^n is geometric. The other two terms from a telescoping series. Find the sums separately.

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3
    My professor said that a limit as n approaches infinity that equals zero means the series is convergent.. And I see what you're saying about the sum. Now I'm just confused on the convergent part.
    Edit:
    For the (1/e)^n I guess you could also say that since |1/e|<1, the series is convergent.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right for the (1/e)^n. And I hope that's not really what your professor said. If the limit is NOT zero, then it's NOT convergent. Approaching zero doesn't mean it converges. 1/n approaches zero but the series 1/n is not convergent.

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5
    Oh I see the problem here. 1/n is a harmonic series and divergent. Now how would I go about proving it is convergent?

7. Mar 25, 2013 #6
    Also I just checked me notes it says the following:
    If [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n}[/itex] is convergent, then [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty}a_{n}=0[/itex] and the opposite if an does not equal 0.

I think there is a difference in what I said and what my notes say right?

8. Mar 25, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know that the (1/e)^n part is convergent and you know it's sum. Now do the 1/n-1/(n+1) part. Like I said, it telescopes. If you know those two parts converge then the sum converges.

9. Mar 25, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, what you quoted doesn't say that if the limit is 0 then the sum converges.

10. Mar 25, 2013 #9
    Ok then I did it correctly.
    Thank you, again.

11. Mar 25, 2013 #10
    So you cannot say the opposite, if [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n}=0[/itex] then [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_{n}[/itex] converges.?

12. Mar 25, 2013 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't the example of ##a_n=1/n## show that you can't?

13. Mar 25, 2013 #12
    I mean are there any other examples of this, other than the harmonic series?

14. Mar 25, 2013 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Many. 1/n^(1/2) doesn't converge. 1/log(n) doesn't converge. log(n)/n doesn't converge. But the limits are all zero.

15. Mar 25, 2013 #14
    Alright, thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted