Convergent or Divergent Integral: Comparison Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses determining if the given integral is improper and convergent, improper and divergent, or proper. The individual attempts to use the comparison theorem to solve the problem, but has trouble determining the correct function to use. The expert explains that the comparison function does not need to be related to the original function and provides a more obvious choice for the comparison function. The conversation concludes by discussing the importance of choosing the correct function based on whether the integral is believed to converge or diverge.
Linday12

Homework Statement

Determine if the following is improper and convergent, improper and divergent, or proper
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2 - 7}}[/tex]
from 8 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I don't know how to integrate it, I believe I would use the comparison theorem. This is where I have trouble. I understand how it works in regards to seeing if it is convergent or not, but I have trouble determining whether I should get a function larger or smaller. Similarly, I have trouble creating that function. I don't have many examples on it.

So, I used: [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x^{3}}}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2 - 7}}[/tex], in which case, since it is ln(abs(x)), it diverges, and therefore the other must also diverge.

I'm not quite sure if I have that right, and if it was ok to just pick a function that was smaller than the other, without somehow deriving it from the first.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell what your integrand is.
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2} - 7}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2 - 7}}[/tex]

Is it one of these? If so, which one?

Linday12 said:
I'm not quite sure if I have that right, and if it was ok to just pick a function that was smaller than the other, without somehow deriving it from the first.

There's no reason for the comparison function to be related in any way to the function being studied, except that it satisfy the inequality in the region in question.

Sorry, I couldn't get the script right. Its
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2 - 7}}[/tex] from 8 to infinity

Ok, thanks. I'm still unsure if I did the question properly. I know the answer is right, but I'm just not sure whether the work is right or not.

A more obvious choice would be 1/x2/3

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2 - 7}} \geq \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt[3]{x^2}}[/tex]

Since the denominator of the expression on the left is clearly smaller than that in the right, the overall fraction is larger that that on the right, hence the integral on the left is larger than the one on the right.

When you evaluate the definite integrals, be sure to use a limit.

Whether to pick a function that is smaller or larger depends on whether you think the improper integral converges or converges. If you believe that the integral converges, you want to choose a function that is larger. If your integrand is smaller than that of a convergent integral, your improper integral converges. If your integrand is larger than that of a divergent integral, your improper integral diverges.

Note that there are two cases you don't want: your integral is larger than a convergent integral; and your integral is smaller than a divergent integral. You can't tell anything from these cases.

What is the Convergent or Divergent Integral: Comparison Theorem?

The Convergent or Divergent Integral: Comparison Theorem is a mathematical theorem used to determine the convergence or divergence of an integral by comparing it to another integral with known convergence or divergence.

How does the Comparison Theorem work?

The Comparison Theorem states that if the integrand of one integral is always greater than or equal to the integrand of another integral, and the second integral is known to converge, then the first integral must also converge. Similarly, if the integrand of one integral is always less than or equal to the integrand of another integral, and the second integral is known to diverge, then the first integral must also diverge.

What is the significance of the Comparison Theorem?

The Comparison Theorem is a powerful tool in determining the convergence or divergence of integrals. It allows us to simplify complex integrals by comparing them to simpler integrals with known convergence or divergence, and thus makes it easier to evaluate the integral.

Can the Comparison Theorem be used for all types of integrals?

The Comparison Theorem is most commonly used for improper integrals, where the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is unbounded. However, it can also be applied to definite integrals with finite limits, as long as the integrals being compared have the same behavior at the limits of integration.

Are there any limitations to the Comparison Theorem?

The Comparison Theorem can only be applied when the integrals being compared have the same behavior at the limits of integration. If the integrals have different behavior at the limits, then the Comparison Theorem cannot be used to determine the convergence or divergence.