COnversative Forces and Change in Kinetic Energy

In summary, the roller coaster has a mass of 365 kg and moves from a height of 5.00 m to a height of 28.0 m. Two nonconservative forces, friction and a chain mechanism, are present. The work done by friction is -2.00x10^4 J and the work done by the chain mechanism is +3.00x10^4 J. The change in kinetic energy, ΔKE = KEf - KE0, is being calculated. The formula for change in kinetic energy is work, or final kinetic energy minus initial kinetic energy. The formula for work is force multiplied by distance. The formula for change in kinetic energy is 0.5(m)(final velocity)^
copitlory8

Homework Statement

A roller coaster (365. kg) moves from A (5.00 m above the ground) to B (28.0 m above the ground). Two nonconservative forces are present: friction does -2.00 multiplied by 104 J of work on the car, and a chain mechanism does +3.00 multiplied by 104 J of work to help the car up a long climb. What is the change in the car's kinetic energy, ΔKE = KEf - KE0, from A to B?

Homework Equations

change in kinetic energy =work or final KE minus initial KE.
Work=force x distance
change in KE= .5(m)(final velocity)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the constant acceleraton euqation to solve for final velocoty. And the formula .5(m)(final velocity)^2 to calculate KE.
I got 10000. This answer was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing another type of work here: the work done against the coaster by Earth's gravity. Plus, there's never any need to use acceleration or velocity in this question; it is purely Work/Energy.

so how would i incorporate Earth's gravity 9.8?

9.8 is acceleration, not work. As you wrote, work is force multipled by distance.

Ep=Ek Ep=mgh (mass*gravity*height) Ek=1/2mV2 V is velocity at that point you do not need to find final velocity you must manipulate the equations mgh=1/2*mv2 = [STRIKE]m[/STRIKE]gh=1/2* [STRIKE]m[/STRIKE] v2 m cancels out you just need to manipulate the equation and you can find anything

okay but what do i do about the two nonconservative forces given that -2x10^3 is work done by earth

Ff as i know it is equal to Fn * [tex]\mu[/tex] [tex]\mu[/tex]= to the kinetic force of friction. NOTE: there are 2 types of friction static and kinetic static is just simply what the friction force is when the object is at rest kinetic friction is what most people find because it is what is most commonly used and referred too (or so i have been told) i don't think this answer your question but i think it should help cause i was think along the lines of wtf? what does energy have to do with this but looking at it again i realize that one could manipulate the equation so that it may be a vector with velocity if i might ask what level of physics is this?

Last edited:
You've already got all you need, forget about the force of friction. You've got +30,000 J of work done by the chain, -20,000 J of work done by friction, and you've got to figure out the work done by gravity (-2,000 J is not correct for that). Then just figure out how much all this work adds up to, and you're done!

that is the problem. i don't understand work by gravity!

this is high level college physics

what is the force of gravity on the coaster, and does it point up or down? how far does the rollercoaster move while under the influence of this force, and does it move up or down? Work is force times distance, and is either positive or negative depending on the directions of force and distance, and there you go.

lol I'm about to write my grade 11 level final exam for physics in about 14 hrs and this stuff almost makes total sense

it points down.
distance is 23

so after i find the fwork what do i do?

i still don't get this

What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not dissipate energy as it acts on an object. This means that the work done by a conservative force is independent of the path taken by the object. Examples of conservative forces include gravity, electric and magnetic forces, and elastic forces.

What is the relationship between conservative forces and change in kinetic energy?

Conservative forces do not directly cause a change in kinetic energy. However, they can change the potential energy of an object, which can then be converted into kinetic energy. This is known as the conservation of energy, where the total energy of a system (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant.

How can you calculate the work done by a conservative force?

The work done by a conservative force can be calculated using the formula W = -ΔPE, where W is the work done, ΔPE is the change in potential energy, and the negative sign indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement.

What is the principle of conservation of mechanical energy?

The principle of conservation of mechanical energy states that the total mechanical energy of a system remains constant as long as only conservative forces are present. This means that the sum of an object's kinetic and potential energies will remain the same, even as the form of energy changes.

How does friction affect the conservation of energy in a system?

Friction is a non-conservative force, meaning it dissipates energy as it acts on an object. This means that the total mechanical energy of a system will decrease as friction acts on it, and the energy lost is converted into thermal energy. This can cause a change in kinetic energy, as the object may slow down due to the work done by friction.