Conversion from Polar to Cartesian (ellipse)

In summary, to convert the conic section r=\frac{1}{8-4*sin(\theta)} to standard form, we first use the equations x=rcos(\theta) and y=rsinx(\theta) to rewrite r in terms of x and y. Then, by squaring both sides of the equation, we can obtain the standard form equation x^2 + y^2 = 64x^2 + 48y^2 - 8y = 1. However, further simplification is needed to fully convert the conic section to standard form.
nitroracer

Homework Statement

Convert the conic section to standard form. r=[tex]\frac{1}{8-4*sin(\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations

x=rcos(\theta)
y=rsinx(\theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

r=[tex]\frac{1}{8-4*sin(\theta}[/tex]

[tex]r^2=\frac{1}{64-64*sin(\theta)+16sin^2(\theta)} [/tex]

r^2= x^2 + y^2

I can see the y=r*sin(\theta) but not the x!

Physics news on Phys.org
so what does r= according to the definitions and what does sin(theta)= according to the definitions? What can you do with that knowledge?

Last edited:
I would multiply both sides by (8-4sin(theta)) and then you can replace rsin(theta) with y. And then you can use your identity r^2 = x^2 + y^2.

Antineutron said:
so what does r= according to the definitions and what does sin(theta)= according to the definitions? What can you do with that knowledge?

I came up with [tex]r= \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] and [tex]sin(\theta)=y/r[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = \frac{1}{8-4sin(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = \frac{1}{8-(\frac{4y}{r})}[/tex]

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 64 - \frac{64y}{r} + \frac{16y^2}{r^2}[/tex]

pretty sure I chose the wrong order of events there...

But when I tried the other suggestion I got pretty close to an answer:

I would multiply both sides by (8-4sin(theta)) and then you can replace rsin(theta) with y. And then you can use your identity r^2 = x^2 + y^2.

[tex]8r - 4rsin(\theta) = 1[/tex]

[tex]8r - 4y = 1[/tex]

[tex]8r = 1 + 4y[/tex]

[tex]r = \frac{1+4y}{8}[/tex]

[tex]r^2 = \frac{1+8y+16y^2}{64}[/tex]

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = \frac{1+8y+16y^2}{64}[/tex]

[tex]64x^2 + 64y^2 = 1+8y+16y^2[/tex]

[tex]64x^2 + 48y^2 - 8y = 1[/tex]

and this is where I get stuck because 48y^2 - 8y +/- ___

r= r/(8r-4y)

8r-4y=1

1. What is the formula for converting from polar to cartesian coordinates for an ellipse?

The formula for converting from polar to cartesian coordinates for an ellipse is:
x = a * cos(theta)
y = b * sin(theta)
Where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse, and theta is the angle in radians.

2. Can the conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates be used for any ellipse?

Yes, the conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates can be used for any ellipse, regardless of its size or orientation. However, the formula may need to be adjusted if the ellipse is not centered at the origin.

3. How does the conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates differ for an ellipse compared to a circle?

The conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates for an ellipse and a circle are similar, but the main difference is that the radius in the formula is replaced with the semi-major and semi-minor axes for an ellipse. This is because the radius of a circle is always constant, while the distance from the center to a point on an ellipse varies depending on its position on the curve.

4. Is it possible to convert from cartesian to polar coordinates for an ellipse?

Yes, it is possible to convert from cartesian to polar coordinates for an ellipse. The formula for this conversion is:
r = √(x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2)
theta = tan^-1 (y/x)
Where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse.

5. Are there any other methods for converting from polar to cartesian coordinates for an ellipse?

Yes, there are other methods for converting from polar to cartesian coordinates for an ellipse, such as using parametric equations or using complex numbers. However, the basic formula mentioned in the first question is the most commonly used and easiest to understand method.