Conversion of emu measurement to Tesla

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a magnetic thin film measurement from emus to Tesla. The speaker suggests using conversion factors to go from emu/cm3 to A/m and then to Tesla, but notes that this method may not yield the correct units. They ask for advice from anyone with experience in this conversion and provide a helpful link for reference.
Grier

Homework Statement

I took a Moment vs field measurement of magnetic thin film taken on a VSM. The Bs of the material is given in emus. I want to convert this to a moment value in Tesla as it is typically given in publications.

Are VSM measurements actually emu/cm3 despite being given as emu? If so, I may have some progress toward the solution.

Homework Equations

emu/cm3 to A/m with a converstion factor of 1000
A/m to Tesla with a converstion factor of 4*pi*10^-7
Dividing this answer by the volume I think should give a Bs value in Tesla.

However, my units do not cancel correctly to tesla with this method.

Has anyone had experience with this conversion? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
May be this link will be useful

http://www.irm.umn.edu/hg2m/hg2m_a/hg2m_a.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Conversion of emu measurement to Tesla

1. What is the conversion factor for emu measurement to Tesla?

The conversion factor for emu measurement to Tesla is 1 emu = 1 x 10^-3 Tesla.

2. How do you convert emu measurement to Tesla?

To convert emu measurement to Tesla, simply divide the emu value by 1000. For example, if you have an emu measurement of 500, the conversion to Tesla would be 500/1000 = 0.5 Tesla.

3. Why is emu measurement used in scientific research?

Emu measurement, or electromagnetic unit, is used in scientific research because it is a convenient unit for measuring magnetic moment and has a direct relationship with the magnetic field strength.

4. Is there a difference between emu measurement and Tesla?

Yes, there is a difference between emu measurement and Tesla. Tesla is the SI unit for magnetic field strength, while emu is a non-SI unit that is commonly used in scientific research for measuring magnetic moment.

5. Can you convert Tesla to emu measurement?

Yes, you can convert Tesla to emu measurement by multiplying the Tesla value by 1000. For example, if you have a Tesla value of 2, the conversion to emu measurement would be 2 x 1000 = 2000 emu.