Conversion of Light energy to Sound energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 10K views
Young Learner
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Is there a way to convert light energy to a sound energy?
I read an article and the URL is http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=52646
It is described that nano material lenses are used.
Is there a much simpler way that I convert light to sound?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One simple way to convert light energy to sound energy:

Buy a greeting card that makes some sound when you open it. Remove the battery, and replace it with a Photovoltaic cell. Place the system in the sunlight.
 
Young Learner said:
Is there a much simpler way that I convert light to sound?

A simple way? Coat something with a thin metal film and hit the metal with an intense laser pulse. It will heat quickly, creating a strain pulse in the sample, which is sound.

See, e.g. Nature Photonics 6, 30–34 (2012), "Laser mode feeding by shaking quantum dots in a planar microcavity" (http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journal/v6/n1/abs/nphoton.2011.269.html)