Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert data from weird to regular data

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    Dear Group,

I have a 30_sec_data.txt with weird characters in it and data.txt with nice numeric in it,

Any one have any ideal to help me convert data from weird to regular data using Matlab.

Thank you,

Best regard,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The file is probably not in UTF-8 format. Can you open it with Notepad++ and resave it?

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3
    Dear Borg,
    I already tried with it but I can not get any number on the notepad++. Do you have any other ideals?

Thank you so much?

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without more details on the file, it's hard to say.

A small note. I've seen you type this wrong a lot. The word is "ideas", not "ideals". :smile:

6. Feb 10, 2016 #5
    sorry, English is my second language !

7. Feb 10, 2016 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand. Just thought that you would want to know.

8. Feb 10, 2016 #7
    Thank you so much... :)

9. Feb 11, 2016 #8
    I found the files which I sent out, are uudecode format, but I've never heard about this format...

Have you ever heard about this format?

10. Feb 12, 2016 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that you have a binary file - Uuencoding. I don't know where you got it but it isn't a plain text file that you can read. It seems that you have a program file that happens to have a .txt name. There isn't anything there that you will be able to read.

11. Feb 12, 2016 #10

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After decoding it, it might turn out to be just an ASCII text file. Then it should be easy to read. The wikipedia page you reference can help to decode it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook