Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert from unit vector to (maybe) special euler angles on a machine tool

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to extract the 3 angles from a unit vector to position a part on a 5 axis milling machine:

This machine has 3 linear axes (x,y,z), direct coordinate system
    It has 2 rotary axes:
    A turns about the x (called 'tilt')
    C is carried on the A axis (called 'rotary')
    See picture of an example of such machine.

I want to machine a feature (ex: drill a hole) on a randomly oriented face
    My CAD software gives me the unit matrix of the 'local' coordinate system:

x1 x2 x3
    y1 y2 y3
    z1 z2 z3

See the 2nd picture:
    - blue face is the face (local xy plane) that has to be positionned parallel to the machine (brown lines) XY plane
    -The machine only has 2 rotations so the best it can do is to make the local coordinate system Z axis parallel to the machine's Z axis (spindle)
    Then I need to add the 3rd rotation by rotating (or mapping) the local coordinates around Z to express them in the machine's XYZ.

I am able to extract the 'A' value:
    A=atan2( sqrt(z1*z1+ z2*z2),z3)

In the example picture, the cube is 2x2x1
    In this particular case:
    A = 35.264
    C= 135

That brings the blue face (or the local z axis) parallel to the machine's Z axis.
    But the part is rotated 180 degrees around z.
    I can easily rotate the coordinates with a rotation matrix. This is the 3rd angle that is not physically there (like an Euler type machine) but can be implemented via matrices.

How do I extract the 'C' move?
    How do I extract the 3rd angle?

Thank you,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    Hello,

I found the answers, pretty easy actually after a few good nights thinking about it.

P

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    I have this exact same issue. Could you, or someone, show how this is done? I can find the rotation of the A axis fairly easily, but I'm stuck trying to determine the C rotation.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook