How to Convert Radical Expressions to Exponential Form

In summary, the problem is to convert (\sqrt[4]{6x})^3 to exponential form. This can be done by applying the fractional exponent rule and remembering that roots are located on the bottom. The simplified form is ({6x})^{3/4}. Similarly, to convert (\sqrt[4]{a^3b^5})^{1/2} to exponential form, we can first convert the square root into an exponential expression and then use exponent rules to simplify to (a^3b^5)^{1/8}.
trentt
The problem is (\sqrt[4]{6x})^3 And i have to convert it to exponential form, and I forgot how to do this, so i need some help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
(\sqrt[4]{6x})^3
[/tex]

Step 1:
[tex]
(({6x})^{1/4})^3
[/tex]

Step 2:
[tex]
({6x})^{3/4}
[/tex]

Technically, you can go farther but this is the simplest and most compact form.

Remember when you are converting the square root into a fraction before you use the fractional exponent rule that, "Roots are located on the bottom," just like how roots of a tree are located at the bottom. That should help you remember!

For example:
[tex]
\sqrt[3]{x^2} = {x}^{2/3}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Caramon said:
[tex]
(\sqrt[4]{6x})^3 = ({6x}^{1/4})^3 = {6x}^{3/4}
[/tex]

Technically, you can go farther but... I assume we're going to stop there.

Thanks

Actually, if anyone is still looking at this post. Could they also convert
(\sqrt[4]{a^3b^5})^{1/2} To exponential form.

I'm not very smart today.

trentt said:
Thanks
I typed the LaTeX wrong the first time, the last expression should read:
[tex]
({6x})^{3/4}
[/tex]

Give that one a shot yourself and tell me where you get stuck, I'll be here reading this so I can help you along. :)
[tex]
(\sqrt[4]{(a^3)(b^5)})^{1/2}
[/tex]

Hint: Remember roots are on the bottom, so convert the square root into an exponential expression and then do your exponent rules and simplify!

Last edited:
Caramon said:
I typed the LaTeX wrong the first time, the last expression should read:
[tex]
({6x})^{3/4}
[/tex]

Give that one a shot yourself and tell me where you get stuck, I'll be here reading this so I can help you along. :)
[tex]
(\sqrt[4]{(a^3)(b^5)})^{1/2}
[/tex]

Hint: Remember roots are on the bottom, so convert the square root into an exponential expression and then do your exponent rules and simplify!

Thanks, I finished the rest of it.

What is exponential form?

Exponential form is a mathematical representation of a number using a base and an exponent. It is written in the form of an, where a is the base and n is the exponent.

Why do we convert to exponential form?

Converting to exponential form allows us to express large or small numbers in a more concise and manageable way. It is also useful for performing mathematical operations and understanding patterns in numbers.

How do you convert from standard form to exponential form?

To convert from standard form to exponential form, we need to identify the base and exponent. The base is the number multiplied by a power of 10, and the exponent is the number of times the decimal point moves. The final exponential form is written as the base multiplied by 10 to the power of the exponent.

What are some common examples of exponential form?

Some common examples of exponential form are scientific notation, such as 3.2 x 106, and the growth of bacteria or population, which can be represented as 2n, where n is the number of generations or time periods.

How is exponential form used in real-life situations?

Exponential form is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, population growth, and radioactive decay. It is also used in fields such as finance, economics, and science to express large or small numbers in a more concise and understandable way.