1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting complex numbers into cartesian and exponential form

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Hey, I'm not too sure if this is pre-calc or not because it's in a different course but I think I remember doing this in pre-calc a long time ago...

1. Determine cartesian(z = x + jy) and exponential([itex]\rho[/itex]e[itex]^{j\theta}[/itex]) forms of the following complex numbers:

z = 3 + 5j

2. I have no clue if there are any equations

3. I thought this number was already in cartesian form... other than this, there is no attempt

My professor assumed we already knew this. Problem is that it's been so long since I've done these (about 4 years) that I forgot how to do it. So, I have no idea how to even begin...

I only need help on this one number and then I think I can do the rest successfully.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're right. That's already in Cartesian form. You can think of 3+5j is just another way of specifying the point (3,5) in the xy-plane. Do you know how to write that same point in polar coordinates? That's all exponential form really is.

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    OK. I think I can find the polar coordinates now. I just got stuck on the wording of his question I guess.

Thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook