Converting complex numbers into cartesian and exponential form

Hey, I'm not too sure if this is pre-calc or not because it's in a different course but I think I remember doing this in pre-calc a long time ago...

1. Determine cartesian(z = x + jy) and exponential([itex]\rho[/itex]e[itex]^{j\theta}[/itex]) forms of the following complex numbers:

z = 3 + 5j

2. I have no clue if there are any equations

3. I thought this number was already in cartesian form... other than this, there is no attempt

My professor assumed we already knew this. Problem is that it's been so long since I've done these (about 4 years) that I forgot how to do it. So, I have no idea how to even begin...

I only need help on this one number and then I think I can do the rest successfully.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You're right. That's already in Cartesian form. You can think of 3+5j is just another way of specifying the point (3,5) in the xy-plane. Do you know how to write that same point in polar coordinates? That's all exponential form really is.

OK. I think I can find the polar coordinates now. I just got stuck on the wording of his question I guess.

Thanks a ton!