Convert VCR analog TV output to digital TV input

In summary, if you want to play your old VHS tapes on your new TV, you will need to find an appropriate cable, and make sure the TV has the appropriate inputs.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
I have an old VCR and a library of video tape recordings I have not played for quite a few years. The output of the VCR is the old analog Channel 3 TV signal which fed into the aerial input of the old analog TV. I now have a digital TV and there is no Channel 3. There is instead, for example, a display Channel 3-1 which is Channel 38.1. The spectrum of TV signals is completely changed. Does anyone know if there is a commercial converter product that will take the analog Channel 3 TV signal and convert it to a digital Channel 3-1 signal, or some other digital TV channel signal?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If it really doesn't have other outputs, you'll have to find/buy an analog TV tuner.

Buzz Bloom said:
I have an old VCR and a library of video tape recordings

russ_watters said:
If it really doesn't have other outputs, you'll have to find/buy an analog TV tuner.
yes, or maybe the cheaper option ...
Do what I did and play them to your PC and convert them to xxx.mpg or whatever you fav
is. I did many 100's of hours of my VCR tapes like that.
You definitely DONT want to keep them as video tape files ... they degrade rather quickly as the years go by. If I was you I would be getting them onto the PC asap before the recordings get too poorDave

Last edited:
Likes Rive, Buzz Bloom and russ_watters
Buzz Bloom said:
I now have a digital TV
Which brand and model?

It's been more than ten years since I bought my LCD HDTV, so I have no experience with current TVs. I went to the Best Buy website and picked a TV more or less at random: a Sharp LC-40LB601U, a 40"-class LED 1080p smart TV. The pictures show the following inputs on the back for old analog devices:

TVinputs.jpg

Yellow is composite analog video. White and red are left- and right-channel stereo analog audio. I suspect most all TVs sold in the US still have these inputs in addition to the antenna input and the HDMI inputs for other digital devices. Does your TV have them, too?

My old VCR has matching yellow/white/red outputs. Does yours?

If the answer to both questions is "yes", then get a set of three RCA-type cables to connect the matching jacks, and set your TV to the corresponding input.

Last edited:
Likes Buzz Bloom
davenn said:
You definitely DONT want to keep them as video tape files ... they degrade rather quickly as the years go by. If I was you I would be getting them onto the PC asap before the recordings get too poor
Very useful advice. Although it requires some preparations to successfully digitize a bunch of VCR tapes in acceptable quality it definitely worth it since they will stay that way afterward: while it'll be hard to find a still functioning VCR player within a decade (even now it can be risky due the ageing of rubber parts, so maybe you should test your old one before you load any important tape into it).

Likes davenn
jtbell said:
My old VCR has matching yellow/white/red outputs. Does yours?
Hi jt:

YES! I actually have three old VCRs, and two of then have three outputs similar to your picture. One has them has the yellow/white/red colors you mention, and the other has orange/white/red, but their labels are as you describe. So I thank you very much. I have not hooked any of them up yet because I do not currently have the corresponding wires. I will either get some or improvise.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes jtbell
Buzz Bloom said:
I will either get some or improvise.
You should be able to find suitable cables in lots of stores, e.g. discount stores or drugstores. Places like Best Buy usually sell fancy versions ("oriented copper crystals" or "low-oxygen" or some such thing) for inflated prices.

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi jt:

YES! I actually have three old VCRs, and two of then have three outputs similar to your picture. One has them has the yellow/white/red colors you mention, and the other has orange/white/red, but their labels are as you describe. So I thank you very much. I have not hooked any of them up yet because I do not currently have the corresponding wires. I will either get some or improvise.

Regards,
Buzz
But you understand that this doesn't solve the long term problem I mentioned earlier ?
yes you will play them today but in a year or 2's time or so when you want to play them again,
( and you have already said some are a good few years old now) ... they may not look so good to crappy

Dave

davenn said:
But you understand that this doesn't solve the long term problem I mentioned earlier ?
yes you will play them today but in a year or 2's time or so when you want to play them again,
( and you have already said some are a good few years old now) ... they may not look so good to crappy
Hi Dave:

I understand that if I want to keep these recordings I should convert them to digital files which I can store on more permanent media. I do appreciate and thank you for your advice. However, I do not know what I want to keep and what I will discard. So I will first have to look at what is on the tapes to decide. For example, I was able to play a movie tape on an old combination VCR/analog TV. This movie I remember liking when I recorded it, but when I watched it again I found my tastes had changed, and I no longer wanted to keep it. There are also other similar kinds of concerns.

I do have another small problem as well. The new TV's initial default configuration had a lot of possible input settings. I reduced the collection to just those inputs I expected to be using. I have a problem now in that the input settings for the yellow/white/red option is not currently available, and I will have to reset the settings to include what I need that is missing. I will need to read the manual and figure out how to do this.

Regards,
Buzz

H i @.Scott, @jtbell, @davenn, @Rive, and @russ_watters:

I now find myself with two new problems. My TV is a Sony model KDL-40SL130.

1. I have wired the TV to a VCR using the three composite Yellow/White/Red connections. The input display shows HDMI 1 labeled as Cable and HDMI 2 labeled as DVD. I set these labels years ago, and I have not been able to find a way to modify them. My understanding is that when I originally edited these input labels they became fixed unless I perform the option to reset all settings to the factory defaults, which I am reluctant to do because I do not understand all the implications.

2. I have not been able to get the TV to display the visuals or sounds for what the VCR is playing. The manual says (as well as I can understand it) that each of the two HTMI inputs is associated with one of the two Yellow/White/Red arrays, and that there is a way to use the remote to tell the TV to use the Yellow/White/Red connections rather than the corresponding HTMI input. Unfortunately, this feature specifies using a V/v feature which is not available on my TV remote, and also does not show up on the TV displayed input list. The manual I am reading is for multiple models, and this feature may be limited to models I don't have. I am now at a complete loss to figure out any options to try except the resetting of all settings as I discussed in (1).

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
The input display shows HDMI 1 labeled as Cable and HDMI 2 labeled as DVD. I set these labels years ago, and I have not been able to find a way to modify them.
OK so get a composite to HDMI converter and plug into one of those HDMI inputs

googling
composite to HDMI converter brought up many choices

Buzz Bloom said:
My understanding is that when I originally edited these input labels they became fixed unless I perform the option to reset all settings to the factory defaults, which I am reluctant to do because I do not understand all the implications.
Yeah, could be risky, you don't want to accidentally brick the TV
chances are that won't happen, rather it will go back to factory defaults and you will have to do all
you TV channel resetting (tuning) etc

Likes Buzz Bloom

What is the difference between analog and digital TV?

Analog TV uses a continuous signal to transmit audio and video information, while digital TV uses discrete values and binary code to transmit the same information. This results in a higher quality picture and sound for digital TV.

Why do I need to convert VCR analog TV output to digital TV input?

Most modern TVs only have digital inputs, so in order to watch content from a VCR, which outputs an analog signal, you will need to convert it to a digital signal that your TV can understand.

What is the best way to convert VCR analog TV output to digital TV input?

The best way to convert VCR analog TV output to digital TV input is to use a digital converter box. These devices take the analog signal from the VCR and convert it to a digital signal that can be read by your TV.

Can I still use my VCR after converting to digital TV input?

Yes, you can still use your VCR after converting to digital TV input. However, you will need a digital converter box in order to watch the content on your TV.

Do I need any special equipment to convert VCR analog TV output to digital TV input?

Yes, you will need a digital converter box to convert the analog signal from your VCR to a digital signal that can be read by your TV. You may also need additional cables to connect the converter box to your VCR and TV.