Converting a European 2-pin plug to UK 3-pin with only two wires

  • Thread starter Thread starter JWSmith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Europe Uk
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
JWSmith
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

Please forgive my ignorance, but when it comes to changing plugs, I am a complete novice.

I have a European 2-Pin plug, 2.A and 250V (One blue, one brown wire).

As I am in the UK, this doesn't work in our sockets.

I need to change it over to a 3-Pin, UK plug. But, when I went to purchase a new plug, there were many different types. Some saying 5A, some 13A.

I'm wondering how I'd change it?

Can I ground it in a 3-Pin plug, if there are only two wires in the cable I have?

Do I purchase one of those plugs where the third pin (top pin) is simply plastic?

Any help/guidance in this field is much appreciated! :)

Many Thanks,

Jay
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
We cannot provide help like this to novices. Please use approved converters for adapting power plugs, and don't try to re-wire them yourself. Thread is closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd