1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting a linear optimization problem with absolute values

1. Sep 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is an alternative approach to handling absolute value terms as the decision variables: abs(x) is the smallest value z that satisfies x [itex]\leq[/itex] z and -x [itex]\leq[/itex] z. Using this,convert the following into a lp

Min 2x1 + 3abs(x2)

S.T x1 + x2 [itex]\geq[/itex] 6

2. Relevant equations
    Here is a pretext from my textbook that shows how to do it a different way

20130917_232043_2.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

After a while of staring at it ,I gave it a try

20130917_231852_5.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there is something wrong with the problem statement: it has ##x_1## and ##x_2## in the objective but ##x_1## and ##x_3## in the constraint.
    Mod note: This is now fixed.
    As written, the problem does not have a finite solution, since we can have ##x_1 \rightarrow -\infty##, ##x_3 = 6 - x_1 \rightarrow +\infty## and ##x_2 = 0##. If you really intend to have ##x_1 \geq 0## you need to say so.

In any case, you need only one constraint, not three. Basically, it is one of the standard methods for such problems to just replace ##x_2## by ##x_2^+ - x_2^-## (with ##x_2^+, x_2^- \geq 0##) and to write ##x_2^+ + x_2^-## in place of ##|x_2|## in the objective.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    Hey

Ya sorry I just noticed as well that I made a mistake. Theres no x3,I meant x2.

Anyways , ya the way you have said I already know how to do. But the reason im confused is that the question asks that the aforementioned observation be used in answering the question.

P.S I cant seem to edit the question to fix the mistake

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I fixed it for you. Members have only a few hours to go back and edit their posts, but mentors don't have that restriction.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two *different* ways of handling such problems, and you have mixed them up. For problems in which |x| appears only in the objective, and with a coefficient c > 0, we can:
    (1) Replace ##x## in the constraints by ##x^+ - x^-## and ##|x|## by ##x^+ + x^-## in the objective; or
    (2) keep x unchanged in the constraints, replace |x| in the objective by a new variable z, and add two constraints z ≥ x and z ≥ -x.

7. Sep 18, 2013 #6
    Ya i know the first way as its stated in the textbook but the way the question is being asked to be done is how you stated in (2).

So if I replace |x2| in this case by z and add the two constraints like you said, what i am wondering is what do the x2 and -x2 mean in the constraints because they are not in the objective function

Min 2x1 +3z

S.T x1 + x2 ≥ 6
    z ≥ x2 and z ≥ -x2

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stop worrying; your formulation is OK exactly as it stands. When you try to make z small, that will restrict x_2 in the constraints, so everything *really is* connected together. If you don't believe it, try solving both formulations (either by hand or by using an LP computer package).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted