Calculus Word + Linear Problem (2)

In summary, Norman windows have a rectangular base with a semicircle on top and the area of the window is proportional to the width of the window.
sheet1
hello I am new here and just starting to do some maths in school (not always my strong point) and I am need of help for some problems that I am trying to solve!

Homework Statement

A Norman window has the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. If the perimeter of the window is 37 feet, express the area of the window as a function of the width (across the base) of the window.

a(x) = ?

Homework Equations

some equations used are x*y = area or 2x + 2y and πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

from my calculations I thought the answers would be 37x-x^2, but apparently it isn;t, and I don't have any solutions to confirm my answer(s). THis probably seems easy to you guys, but word problems have me clueless.

Homework Statement

THis second question is a linear matrix algebra type of question...

Solve the system:

1 1 0 0 : -1
0 1 1 0 : 3
0 0 1 1 : -1
1 0 0 1 : -5

Now normally i know how to solve this but this time its asking for the solution in the form of this and don't know how to input the values:

[x1] = [] []
[x2] = [] + [] s.
[x3] = [] []
[x4] = [] []

Homework Equations

Regular algebra...but haven't seen this type of question yet so there is perhaps something i don't know?

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted solving it such as a normal matrix and then solving for x1,x2 etc...and after inputting the numbers my answers was incorrect.

i had x1 = -1 + -1 x2 = 3 + -1 x3 = -1 + -1 x4 = 1 -4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello sheet1! welcome to pf! :smile:
sheet1 said:
A Norman window has the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. If the perimeter of the window is 37 feet, express the area of the window as a function of the width (across the base) of the window.

what is your formula for L (the length of the rectangle) as a function of W (the width?)
Solve the system:

1 1 0 0 : -1
0 1 1 0 : 3
0 0 1 1 : -1
1 0 0 1 : -5

i don't understand what this means :confused:

(the solution looks like a constant vector V that would be a solution to a "zero" equation, plus a parameter s times a particular solution vector W: V + sW)

First, you've got to figure how the perimeter of the window relates to ts dimensions.

Ok I edited the first one and added a(x)= ? ... that's all the information I have on that question, and for the second one its hard to describe since I can't add a picture:

its formatted as such:

x1 + x2 = -1
x2 + x3 = 3
x3 + x4 = -1
x1 + x4 = -5

then there is 3 groups in a square bracket, one with x1 2,3,4 in a vertical line equaling another square box with 4 vertical blank solutions following by that plus (+) another 4 vertical boxes, the question is very similar to this youtube video, i followed it but could not get a correct answer...:

Last edited by a moderator:
sheet1 said:
Ok I edited the first one and added a(x)= ? ... that's all the information I have on that question, and for the second one its hard to describe since I can't add a picture:

its formatted as such:

x1 + x2 = -1
x2 + x3 = 3
x3 + x4 = -1
x1 + x4 = -5

then there is 3 groups in a square bracket, one with x1 2,3,4 in a vertical line equaling another square box with 4 vertical blank solutions following by that plus (+) another 4 vertical boxes, the question is very similar to this youtube video, i followed it but could not get a correct answer...:

So, what steps have you taken in solving the system? You are required to actually _show_ what you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
for the first question I did something like this (I have lots of notes scribbles, many attempts, easier to say what I did rather than write stuff out here, since it is much harder):

perim=x+2*h+Pi*x=37 => h=(37-x-Pi*x)/2
A(x)=h*x+Pi*x^2=(37-x-Pi*x)*x+Pi*x^2=37x-x*x

for the systems I just isolated the values and solved like normally, but what I DONT understand is what they are asking for in the question, the video i showed above shows it in detail of how to solve it, but after following it step by step I keep getting a wrong answer and am unaware on how to solve a system described in such a way...i need help! i just want to learn..

sheet1 said:
perim=x+2*h+Pi*x

ah, nooo :redface:

perim = x + 2*h + Pi*x/2 :wink:

ok thanks for that, i got the solution! -.8926990813x^2 + 18.5x ... now i really need help with the linear problem, please with a cherry on top with chocolate whipped cream.

sheet1 said:
for the systems I just isolated the values and solved like normally, but what I DONT understand is what they are asking for in the question, the video i showed above shows it in detail of how to solve it, but after following it step by step I keep getting a wrong answer and am unaware on how to solve a system described in such a way...i need help! i just want to learn..

ok, show us how far you got :smile:

ok i got this far :

a = -1 -b
b = 3 -c
c = -1 -d
d = -5 -a

a being x1 b being x2 and so forth...just not sure what to do from this point on. If I plug one of the values into another they just cancel out each other, was I supposed to use gauss-Jordan elimination even further?

sheet1 said:
ok thanks for that, i got the solution! -.8926990813x^2 + 18.5x
I can tell you've worked out how to get the answer but your 10th significant figure is wrong!

not according to the computer it aint! oay, do u think you could shed some light on my linear equation?

I don't think the question asks you to find the numerical value of the width, just express the area A of the window in terms of the width W, subject to the constraint that the perimeter of the window is 37 feet.

Since the window is a rectangle with a semi-circle on top, one can see that the diameter of the semi-circle D must be equal to the width W of the rectangle below.

The perimeter of the semi-circle is
π * D / 2, or π * W / 2
The perimeter of the rectangle below is
W + 2 * H

The total perimeter of the window is P =
π * W / 2 + W + 2 * H
= 37 feet

P =
(1 + π/2)*W + 2*H
= 37 feet

Solve for H.

Then, calculate the area of the semi-circle and the rectangle and add them together.

I have no idea why you wrote all those linear equations to solve.

SteamKing said:
I don't think the question asks you to find the numerical value of the width, just express the area A of the window in terms of the width W, subject to the constraint that the perimeter of the window is 37 feet.

Since the window is a rectangle with a semi-circle on top, one can see that the diameter of the semi-circle D must be equal to the width W of the rectangle below.

The perimeter of the semi-circle is
π * D / 2, or π * W / 2
The perimeter of the rectangle below is
W + 2 * H

The total perimeter of the window is P =
π * W / 2 + W + 2 * H
= 37 feet

P =
(1 + π/2)*W + 2*H
= 37 feet

Solve for H.

Then, calculate the area of the semi-circle and the rectangle and add them together.

I have no idea why you wrote all those linear equations to solve.

He said it was a second question. He just mis-formatted his posting.

1. What is the definition of calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It involves the use of limits, derivatives, and integrals to analyze and solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What is a linear problem in calculus?

A linear problem in calculus involves finding the slope of a straight line or the rate of change of a linear function. This can be done using the derivative of the function, which represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point on the line.

3. How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics to analyze and solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and motion. It is also used in everyday situations such as calculating the speed of a moving object or the slope of a hill.

4. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. These two branches of calculus are closely related and are often used together to solve problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and understanding the underlying concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend additional lectures and workshops. It is also helpful to understand the applications of calculus in real-life situations.