Converting equations in Natural units to SI?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to convert an equation with hbar and c in natural units to SI units. The solution is to multiply the terms with appropriate powers of hbar and c. However, for terms with linear dependence on k, there is uncertainty on what to multiply it by. It is suggested to use hbar*c in this case.
lordkelvin
How can I convert an equation in units where hbar = c = 1 into an equation with hbar and c in SI units? I searched around a bit and wasn't able to find anything (I'm probably not asking the right question). Is there some general way to do it rather than just intuition from having seen the equations before with hbar and c in them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply multiply the value with appropriate powers of hbar and c to get the correct unit.

You have 1MeV as a result and want a mass? It is 1MeV/c^2. You have 1/MeV as result and want a time? It is hbar/MeV. And so on.

I have a dispersion relation that involves some constants (and it's in natural units so no c or hbar shows up). I'd like to plot E versus k using this equation with k and E in SI units.
There are some terms with k^2/(2m) so I can just multiply those by hbar^2, but then there's another term that is only linear in k which I don't know what to do with. I would like to be able to multiply it by some combo of hbar and c but I have no way of knowing whether it's right. So I have a term that is in units of 1eV of inverse length, what do I multiply by? hbar*c?

if you have [k/m] = 1/(m*kg), this is not equivalent to an energy with hbar=c=1.
Or do you have a simple k? Well, [k]=1/m, so [k*hbar*c]=1/m Js m/s = J.
Correct, multiply by hbar*c.

I can understand your confusion and difficulty in converting equations in natural units to SI units. The process of converting equations from one set of units to another can be complex and requires a strong understanding of the underlying physical principles.

One approach to convert equations in natural units to SI units is to use dimensional analysis. This method involves identifying the fundamental quantities and their dimensions in both sets of units and using conversion factors to transform the equation. For example, in natural units, hbar and c both have dimensions of energy multiplied by length, while in SI units, hbar has dimensions of energy multiplied by time and c has dimensions of length divided by time. By using appropriate conversion factors, you can convert these quantities to their SI unit equivalents.

Another approach is to use the relationship between natural units and SI units. In natural units, hbar and c are set to 1, meaning that the units of these quantities are not explicitly written in equations. However, in SI units, hbar and c have well-defined values and units. By using the relationship hbar = h/2π and c = 299,792,458 m/s, you can convert an equation from natural units to SI units.

It is important to note that there is no one general method for converting equations from natural units to SI units. The approach will depend on the specific equation and the quantities involved. It is always recommended to double-check your conversions and units to ensure the accuracy of your results.

I hope this response helps you in converting equations in natural units to SI units. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

What are natural units?

Natural units are a system of units used in physics where fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light and Planck's constant, are set to equal 1. This eliminates the need for conversion factors and simplifies equations.

Why do we need to convert equations from natural units to SI?

Natural units are used primarily in theoretical physics and are not commonly used in everyday calculations. In order to make the results of these calculations more relatable and usable in real-world applications, it is often necessary to convert the equations into SI units.

What is the process for converting equations from natural units to SI?

The process for converting equations from natural units to SI involves identifying the fundamental physical constants used in the equation and replacing them with their equivalent values in SI units. This may also involve converting any dimensionless quantities to their SI counterparts.

Are there any limitations to converting equations from natural units to SI?

While converting equations from natural units to SI can make the results more applicable to real-world situations, it is important to note that this conversion may introduce rounding errors and may not accurately reflect the true precision of the original calculation.

Can equations be converted from SI units to natural units?

Yes, equations can be converted from SI units to natural units using the inverse process of identifying and replacing fundamental physical constants with their natural unit values. However, this is not commonly done as natural units are primarily used in theoretical calculations and not in real-world applications.