1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting Polar to Cartesian Coordinates

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    I was given the problem r=2sin(2(θ)). I'm supposed to write the equation in the Cartesian Coordinates. I understand the basics to this but I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to write the equation when I have x=2sin(2(θ))cos(θ) and y=2sin(2θ)sin(θ).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2
    Tip: Square x and y and try to add them. Then try to subtitue θ.

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    I ended up getting the equation for a circle in the cartesian coordinates which does not match the graph for the polar equation.

5. Sep 6, 2012 #4
    Could you write down your final result? I doubt that it is a circle equation...

6. Sep 6, 2012 #5
    Ok so as I was typing out my work, I realized a mistake I made. So now I'm down to:

(cosθ)^2+(sinθ)^2+2cosθsinθ=1

Am I going to need to use some kind of trig substitution to solve this now?

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    I don't know how did you come up with that :/

If you square x and y, you get respectively: x2=4sin2(2θ)cos2(θ) and y2=4sin2(2θ)sin2(θ).
    Now you've got to add the two equations and apply the distributive law to the second part in order to get rid of the cos2(θ)+sin2(θ) terms. It should be straightforward from now on. Your final step is to subtitue θ in the remaining 4sin2(2θ) term.

8. Sep 6, 2012 #7
    I took x2+y2=r2

Because of the r2, the 4sin22θ cancelled out, leaving me with what I got.

9. Sep 6, 2012 #8
    Your final equation should only contain x's and y's.

x2+y2=4sin2(2θ) right? Subtitue θ and you are done...

10. Sep 6, 2012 #9
    What do I substitute theta with?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook