1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Converting square root to perfect square

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi,

I have a problem in my book in which they use a method of making sqrt( 36 + x^2 ) a perfect square by simply making x = 3( t - 1/t ) and then we get 9( t + 1/t )^2 by substituting back into sqrt(36 + x^2). My question is that why did the chose 3( t - 1/t ), is there a rule?

thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What were they trying to do with the expression √(36+x2) ? For example, if they were trying to integrate, you could have made a simple trig substitution instead of trying to think of some odd set of functions to string together.

4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    no its in an equation form,

C(x) = [(9-x) + 1.25sqrt( x^2 + 36 )], where C(x) is a function.

and they're trying to solve for x, so they used the method above, and I know how to solve it, but I lost it when they used let x = 3( t - 1/t )

5. Apr 23, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

x = 3( t - 1/t ) ⇒ x2 = 9( t - 1/t )2

∴√(36+x2)=√(36+9(t- 1/t)2), how does that turn into an expression like √(a+b)2?

I do not think there rule per se for using that substitution though.

6. Apr 23, 2010 #5
    Fair enough, thanks anyway.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook