Converting standard form to standard form of an ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses converting an equation to the standard form of an ellipse and identifying the foci and middle point. The solution involves rewriting the standard form as x^2/b^2+y^2/b^2=1 and the given form as x^2+4y^2-8y-6x+9=0, and understanding the role of the -4 term in the given form.
thearn

Homework Statement

x^2+4y^2-8y-6x+9 convert this equation to the standard form of an ellipse and identify the foci, the middle point,

Homework Equations

x^2/b^2+y^2/b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ellipse-----> My standard form of this ellipse ((x-3)^2/(2)^2)+((y-2)^2/(1^2))-4
I worked at this as the form of the ellipse but i just do not understand what i am doing wrong because the -4 is there.

Physics news on Phys.org
x^2+4y^2-8y-6x+9 isn't an 'equation'. There's no '=' sign. Neither is x^2/b^2+y^2/b^2. If you write the standard form as x^2/b^2+y^2/b^2=1 and the form given as x^2+4y^2-8y-6x+9=0, it might be clearer what you should do with the -4.

Thanks so much! Yeah i left out some pretty important stuff.. I got the answer now. Appreciate it!

1. What is the standard form of an ellipse?

The standard form of an ellipse is: (x - h)2 / a2 + (y - k)2 / b2 = 1, where (h,k) represents the center of the ellipse and a and b represent the length of the major and minor axes, respectively.

2. How do I convert an ellipse in general form to standard form?

To convert an ellipse in general form Ax2 + By2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0 to standard form, you need to complete the square for both the x and y terms. This involves manipulating the equation to have the form of (x - h)2 / a2 + (y - k)2 / b2 = 1, where (h,k) represents the center of the ellipse and a and b represent the length of the major and minor axes, respectively.

3. Can I convert an ellipse in standard form to general form?

Yes, you can convert an ellipse in standard form (x - h)2 / a2 + (y - k)2 / b2 = 1 to general form by expanding the squared terms and simplifying the equation. This will result in an equation in the form of Ax2 + By2 + Cx + Dy + E = 0, where A, B, C, D, and E are constants.

4. How do I find the center of an ellipse in standard form?

The center of an ellipse in standard form is represented by the point (h,k). To find the center, simply look at the values of h and k in the equation (x - h)2 / a2 + (y - k)2 / b2 = 1.

5. Can I graph an ellipse in standard form without converting it to general form?

Yes, you can graph an ellipse in standard form by identifying the center of the ellipse and the length of the major and minor axes. The center will be the point (h,k), and the length of the major axis will be 2a and the length of the minor axis will be 2b. Plot these points and draw the ellipse using these values.