Converting standard to polar form

In summary, converting from standard to polar form is useful for describing complex numbers in terms of their magnitude and direction. This can be done using the formula z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle. The relationship between standard and polar forms is that they represent the same number in different ways. Both negative and imaginary numbers can be represented in polar form. It is more beneficial to use polar form in situations involving geometric contexts or for simplifying calculations with complex numbers.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

you are given the standard form z = 3 - 3i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so to convert this to polar form, i know that ##r = 3√2## but how do i find theta here? There are so many mixed answers it seems online that I can't tell... i know that ##(3,-3)## is in the last quadrant and that ##tan^-1(-3/3) = -45##.

But how can I do this all without a calculator first of all? I have a final where no calculators are allowed. Some sites are telling me that theta is just -45 or -pi/4 here. Others are telling me that its 360 - (-45) or 360 + -45.
What the heck is the right answer?

Also, just for my understanding here. say I have a different standard form where ##z=-8i## and I want to find its cubed roots. Would theta be 270 here? or ##3pi/2##? Because ##tan^-1(-8/0)## is undefined.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:
Some sites are telling me that theta is just -45 or -pi/4 here. Others are telling me that its 360 - (-45) or 360 + -45.
Hi Arnoldjavs3:

What is the difference between the two answers: (a) -45, and (b) 360-45=315.

BTW: I don't know what your teacher requires, but in general it is better to include a symbol like "o" or "deg" for an angle using degrees as a unit rather than omit it.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Arnoldjavs3
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Arnoldjavs3:

What is the difference between the two answers: (a) -45, and (b) 360-45=315.

BTW: I don't know what your teacher requires, but in general it is better to include a symbol like "o" or "deg" for an angle using degrees as a unit rather than omit it.

Regards,
Buzz

Oh... right. I didn't know how to add the degree symbol with latex. I feel stupid now.

How about the degree for ##z=-8i##? Am I right to think that it is 270o?

Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

you are given the standard form z = 3 - 3i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so to convert this to polar form, i know that ##r = 3√2## but how do i find theta here? There are so many mixed answers it seems online that I can't tell... i know that ##(3,-3)## is in the last quadrant and that ##tan^-1(-3/3) = -45##.

But how can I do this all without a calculator first of all? I have a final where no calculators are allowed. Some sites are telling me that theta is just -45 or -pi/4 here. Others are telling me that its 360 - (-45) or 360 + -45.
What the heck is the right answer?

Draw a line from the origin to ##(3,-3)##. Label it ##r##. Then draw an arc counterclockwise from the positive ##x## axis to ##r##. That arc subtends the angle you want. Don't use any inverse trig formula, just look at it. You should see that it is ##180^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\pi +\frac \pi 4 =\frac{5
\pi} 4##. Just draw a quick picture for this kind of problem.
[Edit, corrected] As Mark44 points out in post #6, I meant
##270^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\frac{3\pi} 2 +\frac \pi 4 =\frac{7
\pi} 4##.
Also, just for my understanding here. say I have a different standard form where ##z=-8i## and I want to find its cubed roots. Would theta be 270 here? or ##3pi/2##? Because ##tan^(-1)[-8/0]## is undefined.
Again, don't use inverse trig functions here. You want$$
r^3e^{i3\theta} = 8e^{\frac {3\pi i} 2}$$ So ##r=2## and ##3\theta = \frac {3\pi} 2 + 2n\pi##.

Last edited:
Likes Arnoldjavs3
Arnoldjavs3 said:
How about the degree for z=-8i?
Hi Arnoldjavs3:

What do you think the answer is?

BTW: How to represent the value of an angle in the third or fourth quadrant is an arbitrary convention. The two choices are
(a) 180 < θ < 360, or
(b) 0 > θ > - 180.
You might want to notice which convention your teacher usually uses, and do the same.

Another BTW re
Arnoldjavs3 said:
I didn't know how to add the degree symbol with latex. I feel stupid now.
There are many useful symbols available by selecting "∑" on the formatting option bar.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Draw a line from the origin to ##(3,-3)##. Label it ##r##. Then draw an arc counterclockwise from the positive ##x## axis to ##r##. That arc subtends the angle you want. Don't use any inverse trig formula, just look at it. You should see that it is ##180^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\pi +\frac \pi 4 =\frac{5
\pi} 4##. Just draw a quick picture for this kind of problem.
@LCKurtz, I'm sure you really mean ##270^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\frac {3\pi} 2 + \frac \pi 4 = \frac{7\pi} 4##.
LCKurtz said:
Again, don't use inverse trig functions here. You want$$
r^3e^{i3\theta} = 8e^{\frac {3\pi i} 2}$$ So ##r=2## and ##3\theta = \frac {3\pi} 2 + 2n\pi##.

Mark44 said:
@LCKurtz, I'm sure you really mean ##270^\circ + 45^\circ## or ##\frac {3\pi} 2 + \frac \pi 4 = \frac{7\pi} 4##.
Yes, of course. For some reason I copied his point as ##(-3,-3)##.

1. What is the purpose of converting standard to polar form?

Converting from standard (rectangular) to polar form is useful in describing complex numbers in terms of their magnitude and direction. This can be helpful in solving equations involving complex numbers or in visualizing and understanding geometric relationships.

2. How do you convert a complex number from standard to polar form?

To convert a complex number from standard to polar form, you can use the formula z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis. This can be found using trigonometric functions such as cosine and sine.

3. What is the relationship between standard and polar forms of a complex number?

The standard and polar forms of a complex number are two different ways of representing the same number. Standard form represents the number in terms of its real and imaginary components, while polar form represents the number in terms of its magnitude and direction.

4. Can negative and imaginary numbers be represented in polar form?

Yes, both negative and imaginary numbers can be represented in polar form. Negative numbers will have a negative magnitude, while imaginary numbers will have a magnitude of 0 and an angle of either 90 or -90 degrees.

5. In which situations is it more beneficial to use polar form instead of standard form for complex numbers?

Polar form is more beneficial in situations where complex numbers need to be represented in a geometric context, such as in solving equations involving complex numbers or in analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits. It can also be useful in simplifying calculations involving complex numbers.