Converting units for angular motion

Torque is a measure of rotational force, so it has units of [force]*[distance], which can be converted to [mass]*[distance^2]/[time^2], but that does not change the units of angular velocity.
24forChromium
I think angular velocity can be measured in radians/second. I also heard that if I multiply a value of angular velocity that is in the units of Rad./sec. by a certain value of radius in meters, I will get m/s, but this is the instantaneous tangential velocity.

Is any of these right?

In addition, since torque is measured in N*m (cross product or something, don't quite get it), does this mean that angular velocity can be measured in m^2/s and not be instantaneous and tangential?
(Priority on the first paragraph)

Physics news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:
I think angular velocity can be measured in radians/second

Yes. Those are the SI units of angular velocity.

24forChromium said:
I also heard that if I multiply a value of angular velocity that is in the units of Rad./sec. by a certain value of radius in meters, I will get m/s, but this is the instantaneous tangential velocity.

Yes the instantaneous speed of a particle is the product of its angular velocity (in radians per second) and its distance from the axis of rotation.

24forChromium said:
In addition, since torque is measured in N*m (cross product or something, don't quite get it), does this mean that angular velocity can be measured in m^2/s and not be instantaneous and tangential?
(Priority on the first paragraph)

No. Just based on the units that is not possible. Angular velocity must have units of [some angular measure]/[time]

Likes 24forChromium

1. What are the basic units for measuring angular motion?

The basic units for measuring angular motion are degrees (°) and radians (rad). Degrees are used in the imperial system, while radians are used in the metric system.

2. How do you convert between degrees and radians?

To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the number of degrees by π/180. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the number of radians by 180/π.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion is movement along a straight line, while angular motion is movement along a circular path. Linear motion is measured in units such as meters or feet, while angular motion is measured in units such as degrees or radians.

4. How does angular velocity differ from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in units of radians per second (rad/s), while linear velocity is measured in units of meters per second (m/s).

5. Can you convert between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Yes, you can convert between angular velocity and linear velocity by using the formula v = ωr, where v is linear velocity, ω is angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the point of interest. This formula works for objects moving in a circular path.