1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convex Mirrors and Magnification

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the image distance for an automobile 4.5 m in front of a convex miror with a 0.15 m focal length? I found this to be 0.155 m

The question I'm having a problem with is: What is the magnification?

2. Relevant equations

magnification = - (image distance/object distance)

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought it would simply be,
    -[0.155m/4.5m] = -0.0344. But it's not.

Some help would be much appreciated

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful with signs. For a convex mirror, what sign will the focal length have?

4. May 24, 2009 #3
    I realized that because it is a convex mirror, the focal length would be negative. However the marking program marked my answer right. I was confused by this :confused: And because of this discrepancy, I am unsure of how to find the magnification.

5. May 25, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is the image real or virtual? (And therefore, is the image distance positive or negative?)

6. May 25, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Then how did you get an image distance of +0.155 m ? (See Redbelly98's comment.)
    Now I'm confused. Your first post seemed to indicate that you knew your answer was wrong.
    You find it just as you stated in your first post:
    But you need the correct image distance (correct in both magnitude and sign), of course.

7. May 26, 2009 #6
    ok.. i got it. Turns out there was an error/glitch with the marking program. I got the answer in the end. Thanks for everyone's help! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook