Convex Mirrors and Magnification

In summary, you find that the magnification is negative because the focal length of the convex mirror is negative. The image distance is +0.155 m.
kc262

Homework Statement

What is the image distance for an automobile 4.5 m in front of a convex miror with a 0.15 m focal length? I found this to be 0.155 m

The question I'm having a problem with is: What is the magnification?

Homework Equations

magnification = - (image distance/object distance)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would simply be,
-[0.155m/4.5m] = -0.0344. But it's not.

Some help would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kc262 said:
What is the image distance for an automobile 4.5 m in front of a convex miror with a 0.15 m focal length? I found this to be 0.155 m
Careful with signs. For a convex mirror, what sign will the focal length have?

Doc Al said:
Careful with signs. For a convex mirror, what sign will the focal length have?

I realized that because it is a convex mirror, the focal length would be negative. However the marking program marked my answer right. I was confused by this :confused: And because of this discrepancy, I am unsure of how to find the magnification.

Is the image real or virtual? (And therefore, is the image distance positive or negative?)

kc262 said:
I realized that because it is a convex mirror, the focal length would be negative.
Then how did you get an image distance of +0.155 m ? (See Redbelly98's comment.)
However the marking program marked my answer right. I was confused by this :confused:
Now I'm confused. Your first post seemed to indicate that you knew your answer was wrong.
And because of this discrepancy, I am unsure of how to find the magnification.
You find it just as you stated in your first post:
magnification = - (image distance/object distance)
But you need the correct image distance (correct in both magnitude and sign), of course.

ok.. i got it. Turns out there was an error/glitch with the marking program. I got the answer in the end. Thanks for everyone's help! :biggrin:

What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a curved mirror with a reflective surface that bulges outward. It is also known as a diverging mirror because it diverges light rays that strike its surface.

How does a convex mirror affect light rays?

A convex mirror causes light rays to diverge, which means they spread out instead of coming together at a point. This creates a virtual image that is smaller than the object and upright.

What is the difference between a convex mirror and a concave mirror?

A convex mirror and a concave mirror have opposite curvatures. A convex mirror bulges outwards, while a concave mirror curves inwards. Additionally, a convex mirror creates a virtual image, while a concave mirror can create both virtual and real images.

What is magnification in relation to convex mirrors?

Magnification is the ratio of the height of an image to the height of the object. In convex mirrors, the magnification is always less than 1, which means the image is smaller than the object.

How is the magnification of a convex mirror calculated?

The magnification of a convex mirror can be calculated using the equation M = -v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance. The negative sign indicates that the image is virtual and upright.