Cooling Copper Conductors: Find a Solution to Keep the Temperature Low

In summary, the conversation suggests that the speaker is conducting research on hollow copper conductors and is seeking information about coolants or gases that can be used to quickly cool the conductor and prevent it from reaching a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. The suggestion is made to ask engineers on a forum, but to also provide additional details about the system. The speaker also mentions their own experience with cooling copper tubes using water for triacs.
origen87
Hello all,
I am doing a research which involves hollow copper conductors. I would like to know about some kind of coolant or gas (like SF6) which can be passed through the copper tube to cool it, the temperature of the copper conductor can reach upto 100 degree C. The coolant should cool the conductor quickly so as the temperature at any point should not go high.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you should ask on engineering forum, they use coolants all the time so they know much more about them.

--

yes, ask engineers. But, give them some details of the system other than the required temperature.
My only experience with copper tubes containing coolants was with big triacs, which we cooled with water.

1. What is the purpose of cooling copper conductors?

Cooling copper conductors is necessary to keep the temperature low and prevent overheating, which can lead to damage and failure of the conductors.

2. Why do copper conductors heat up?

Copper conductors heat up due to the flow of electricity through them. This is because they have resistance, which causes energy to be converted into heat.

3. What are some common methods for cooling copper conductors?

Some common methods for cooling copper conductors include using heat sinks, fans, liquid cooling systems, and thermal insulation materials.

4. How do you determine the appropriate cooling solution for a specific copper conductor?

The appropriate cooling solution for a specific copper conductor depends on factors such as the amount of current flowing through the conductor, the length and thickness of the conductor, and the environmental conditions it will be operating in.

5. Can cooling copper conductors improve their efficiency?

Yes, cooling copper conductors can improve their efficiency by reducing the resistance and thus, the amount of energy lost as heat. This can lead to a more reliable and longer-lasting electrical system.