Coordinate Transformations in GR

In summary, coordinate transformations play a crucial role in General Relativity due to the principle of relativity, the general covariance of its equations, the need to visualize reference frames, and the mathematical impossibility of a single choice of coordinates fully sufficing at every event. They also serve as a way to handle arbitrary coordinate systems and their transformations, which is a fundamental aspect of GR.
Mad Dog
As I try to understand GR, I find coordinate transformations just about everywhere. My question is simply: What is the reason coordinate transformations play such an important role in GR? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say the reason is that one of the most important aspects of GR is the principle of relativity and the general covariance of its equations. Basically, that the laws of physics should be the same in any reference frame so naturally you'll want to perform coordinate trasnformations.

Last edited:
That and also coordinate transformation is the simplest (read: best) way to visualize reference frames.

In special relativity, you can can use 3 spatially orthogonal plane wave solutions of Maxwell's "free space" equations as rulers for 3 orthogonal spatial axes. The 3 rulers won't interact with each other and Maxwell's equations are linear. In general relativity, each plane wave has energy or "gravitational mass" and should attract the other plane waves, so Maxwell's "free space" equations should become nonlinear indicating that you cannot get independent plane wave solutions. This will be true of any rulers you set up, so you will have no orthogonal coordinates, except very locally. The bending of your rulers and clocks or "metric" appears as spacetime curvature.

Another reason is that GR permits solutions in which it is mathematically impossible for a single choice of coordinates to fully suffice at every event.

I'm replying here to my own question, as a contribution to the Forum:

Even after having received the answers to my question, I continued to be concerned, and finally realized the answer is simple and obvious:

The name of the field is "Relativity" and the key is right there - we're talking about how different observers will measure the same events. Different observer's points of view are expressed as observations from different reference frames, and "reference frames" is simply another way of saying "coordinate systems," so of course coordinate transformations are found everywhere in General Relativity.

The second reason is that:
-For generations whe have dealt with coordinate translations, rotations, and moving coordinate systems without thinking much about it.
-In Special Relativity we add the Lorentz Transformation (and have to think a good bit about that).
-One of the basic lessons of General Relativity is that there are no preferred coordinate systems, so now we must deal with arbitrary coordinate systems and their transformations, and learning to do this is an essential part of GR.

1. What is a coordinate transformation in general relativity (GR)?

A coordinate transformation in GR is a mathematical tool used to convert coordinates between different reference frames in spacetime. It allows us to describe the same physical event or object in different ways, depending on the observer's perspective. This is necessary because the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. Why are coordinate transformations important in GR?

Coordinate transformations are important in GR because they help us understand the effects of gravity on the curvature of spacetime. By transforming coordinates, we can describe how objects move and interact in a gravitational field, and make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3. How do coordinate transformations relate to the principle of general covariance?

The principle of general covariance states that the laws of physics should be expressed in a way that is independent of the choice of coordinates. Coordinate transformations play a crucial role in fulfilling this principle, as they allow us to express physical laws in a coordinate-independent manner, making them applicable to all observers.

4. Are there any limitations to coordinate transformations in GR?

While coordinate transformations are a powerful tool in GR, they do have limitations. In particular, they cannot account for the effects of gravitational time dilation, which is a fundamental aspect of GR. Additionally, coordinate transformations cannot fully explain the behavior of extreme gravitational phenomena, such as black holes and gravitational waves.

5. How are coordinate transformations used in practical applications of GR?

Coordinate transformations are used in many practical applications of GR, such as in the calculation of orbits for satellites and spacecraft, in the development of accurate GPS systems, and in the analysis of cosmological data. They are also essential in the study of gravitational lensing, which is used to observe and map distant objects in the universe.