Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Core falling out of electromagnet

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to levitate the iron core of an electromagnet at a certain postion. How can I calculate what the minimum currennt is that I need to put on the electromagnet to prevent the core from falling out at the bottom?

Is there an equation to know at what position the core will be if I put more current on it?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure I understand this. The core of an electromagnet is magnetised by the current solenoid, and is held in place mechanically. Why would it fall out and what would stop it?

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3
    Is is not held in place machanically. It is just a solenoid with an iron core in it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no easy formula to calculate this, and the geometry of the setup is important.

6. Sep 24, 2013 #5
    The outer diameter of the solenoid is 38mm, the inner diameter is 14mm.
    The diameter of the core is 12.5mm. Both are 70mm long.
    The number of turns on the coil is 335.
    I don't know what the permeability of the core is, but I approximate it at 10000*mu_0. But I can verify this experimentally, when I know the correct formula for the current at which the core will fall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook