1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coriolis Torque On a Spinning Object

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Coriolis force can produce a torque on a spinning object. To illustrate this, consider a horizontal hoop of mass m and radius r spinning with angular velocity w about its veritcal axis at colatitude theta. Show that the Coriolis force due to the earth's rotation produces a torque of magnitude mwWr^2sin[theta] directed to the west, where W is the earth's angular velocity.

2. Relevant equations
    Coriolis force = 2mr' X W
    Torque = F X d

3. The attempt at a solution
    r'=rXw

Fcor= 2m(rXw) X W
    = 2mrwW

Torque = Fcor X r
    = 2mr^2wWsin[theta]

I'm supposed to get half of this value somehow, and the direction is not at all clear and from my diagram is constantly changing...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This equation is for a particle of mass m moving with linear velocity ##\dot{\mathbf{r}}##. Each mass element of the hoop should be treated as a particle with its own velocity vector. (Different mass elements have different position and velocity vectors.)

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3

I thought that rewriting r' as w X r with both w and r being vectors, would take care of this? If not, how would I go about treating each point independently?

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll need to introduce a coordinate system and express the position and velocity vectors of a mass element with respect to the coordinate system. For example, you could introduce Cartesian axes with origin at the center of the hoop and with the z axis along the axis of rotation of the hoop, the x axis pointing east, and the y axis pointing north.

A mass element of the hoop will be at some angle ##\phi## to the x-axis. How would you express the position and velocity vectors of this mass element?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    [r cos[phi] x direction + r sin[phi] y direction] X w z direction

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm guessing that this is an expression for the velocity vector of the mass element located at angle ##\phi##. Does the expression have the correct overall sign? Can you simplify by carrying out the cross product?

Note that math symbols are available by clicking on the ##\Sigma## tab.

8. Jan 27, 2015 #7
    Thank you for that, I couldn't remember how i had made symbols before. Anyway, I understand it now, thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted