Correct equations of motion for object?

In summary, the object cannot bounce off with more energy it arrived with because of the interaction with the yarn. The equations of motion for the object might be alright, but the interaction with the yarn is at fault.
Simon666
Hello,

I am currently trying to simulate an object that can rotate around an axis bouncing on a piece of yarn. I have as equations of motion for the object:

I d²Theta/dt² = Gravity_Torque + Yarn_Torque

With the gravity torque alone this system is perfectly conserving energy: the rotating lever will rotate down from horizontal to horizontal at the other side and back. However, if I also put in the yarn torque, this is only directed upwards, so in my simulations the lever will bounce back from the yarn higher than the position it left from and hence energy is continuously added and my object will bounce back higher and higher. How to solve this issue, what are the correct equations of motion? I'm not so good at physics.

In attachment the situation is displayed.

Attachments

• Test.JPG
    Test.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
The object can't bounce off with more energy it arrived with. I don't know what you mean by yarn torque. Is this the resistance caused by stretching the yarn ?

You should try analysing the system as if there were no gravity, in which case it is like a SHO with a period of free fall in the middle.

It's not a trivial problem. Do you know how to work out EOMs with Lagrange's method ?

Mentz114 said:
You should try analysing the system as if there were no gravity, in which case it is like a SHO with a period of free fall in the middle.

It's not a trivial problem. Do you know how to work out EOMs with Lagrange's method ?
Sorry, I'm being a bit overwhelmed. No I don't know those things. I do suspect the equations of motion used for the object are alright but the interaction with the yarn is at fault. The yarn is discretized in a number of 0-dimensional nodes. I have discovered a flaw in my modeling though. I have modeled the effect of collision of the nodes with the object: they can bounce off of the object but then the object should get a momentum change in the opposite direction, which I have not modeled yet. That I have not modeled yet. I don't know though whether that will suffice to make the system conserve energy. I'll get back here when it doesn't.

they can bounce off of the object but then the object should get a momentum change in the opposite direction,
Yes, it is vital that objects bouncing off each other should conserve momentum or your simulation is bound to fail.

I don't understand your example well enough to give you the equations of motion for it, but the general equations of motion for a rigid body can be described by Euler's equations .

Euler's equations use body-fixed coordinates. It looks to me like you might be using absolute space coordinates, in which case you can't use the above directly as written.

The topic is discussed in Goldstein's "Classical mechanics", but since it's a graduate level textbook and you say your math is not that great, it might be a bit advanced.

Unfortunately I don't understand the exact coordinate choice you've made to be able to give you any specifics.

If your body is constrained to rotate only in a plane, I.e. if you assume the yarn and the body are always coplanar, you might be able to generate the equations of motions by using Lagrangian mechanics.

Using a Lagrangian approach, if the yarn doesn't stretch and has some constant length L, the state of a planar system should be able to be described by two angles, the angle between the yarn and the vertical, and the angle between the end of your rod and the yarn, along with characteristics of the problem such as the length of the yarn, and the moment of inertia (i.e. mass, length, width) of the rod.

1. What is the definition of an equation of motion for an object?

An equation of motion for an object is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. It describes how an object's position changes over time due to its velocity and acceleration.

2. How do you determine the correct equation of motion for a specific object?

The correct equation of motion for a specific object can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the object and applying Newton's laws of motion. The equation can also be derived using calculus, considering the object's initial position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. Are there different equations of motion for different types of objects?

Yes, there are different equations of motion for different types of objects. The type of equation used depends on the forces acting on the object and the object's motion, such as linear, circular, or projectile motion.

4. Can equations of motion be used to predict an object's future motion?

Yes, equations of motion can be used to predict an object's future motion. By plugging in the object's initial conditions, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, the equation can calculate the object's position at any given time in the future.

5. How do equations of motion play a role in real-world applications?

Equations of motion are essential in real-world applications, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to predict and analyze the motion of objects, from the movement of cars and airplanes to the orbits of planets and satellites. They also play a crucial role in designing and optimizing structures and machines.