1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correct my simple error (property of scalar multiplication)

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    say i have some vector ##\vec{v}## multiplied by a scalar k.

the norm of ##\vec{v}## would be just ##||\vec{v}||## and the norm of ##k\vec{v}## is claimed to be ##|k|||\vec{v}||## ie, ##||k\vec{v}||=|k|||\vec{v}||## ie the sign of the constant is irrelevant.

when i work it out..

$$||k\vec{v}||=\sqrt{(kv_{1})^2+(kv_{2})^2+(kv_{3})^2+...}$$
    $$=\sqrt{k^2(v_{1})^2+k^2(v_{2})^2+k^2(v_{3})^2+...}=\sqrt{(k)^2[(v_{1})^2+(v_{2})^2+(v_{3})^2+...]}$$

from this point, yes i could say that since all k values are squared, the square root must be a positive value. but take k to be a negative number (-a) and say we don't actually compute the square of k and we just leave it in ##(-a)^2## form. we can do the following

(continued from previous)

=$$\sqrt{(-a)^2}\sqrt{(v_{1})^2+(v_{2})^2+(v_{3})^2+...}$$

in which case, the ##\sqrt{}## and the ##(-a)^2## can cancel out which would then return our original -k value which is negative. (where -k=-a)

i'm pretty sure there's an error some where in my line of reasoning though, could someone please find it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if you're aware of it, but there were four copies of this post where it looked like you were trying different things in LaTeX. I deleted all but this one, which was the best of the lot.
    No.
    These operations don't just cancel out. ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

Think about it. Although ##\sqrt{4^2} = 4##, it's NOT true that ##\sqrt{(-4)^2} = -4##.

4. Jan 18, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The norm of a vector is defined to be non-negative. So the norm of the vector -3 i is 3 and not -3.

The real operation √x is defined for non-negative x values. √x is the non-negative quantity which has the square equal to x:(√x)2=x. √x ≥0.

If a = -2, for example, and x=(-2)2, √x=√4=2.

√(x2)=|x| (the square root does not have memory :smile:)

ehild

5. Jan 18, 2014 #4
    well, if this is expressed in the following way:

$$\sqrt{x^2}=x^\frac{2}{2}$$

are you guys saying that if i have any fractional exponent $$\frac{x}{y}$$

where $$x\in even numbers , y\in\Re$$

that i can't simply simplify the exponent if y is an even number? if x is an even number then the quantity must be positive?

because i have done homework problems in the past where i have a quantity such as this

$$(-x)^\frac{2}{6}$$ and i reduced this to $$(-x)^\frac{1}{3}$$, solved the problem and have gotten them correct. how is this any different from my original inquiry??

6. Jan 18, 2014 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can not express it that way.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted