Correct my simple error (property of scalar multiplication)

The norm of a vector is defined to be non-negative. So the norm of the vector -3 i is 3 and not -3. The real operation √x is defined for non-negative x values. √x is the non-negative quantity which has the square equal to x:(√x)2=x. √x ≥0.If a = -2, for example, and x=(-2)2, √x=√4=2. √(x2)=|x| (the square root does not have memory :smile:)ehildIn summary, the norm of a vector is always defined to be non-negative. This means that the norm
iScience
say i have some vector ##\vec{v}## multiplied by a scalar k.

the norm of ##\vec{v}## would be just ##||\vec{v}||## and the norm of ##k\vec{v}## is claimed to be ##|k|||\vec{v}||## ie, ##||k\vec{v}||=|k|||\vec{v}||## ie the sign of the constant is irrelevant.

when i work it out..

$$||k\vec{v}||=\sqrt{(kv_{1})^2+(kv_{2})^2+(kv_{3})^2+...}$$
$$=\sqrt{k^2(v_{1})^2+k^2(v_{2})^2+k^2(v_{3})^2+...}=\sqrt{(k)^2[(v_{1})^2+(v_{2})^2+(v_{3})^2+...]}$$

from this point, yes i could say that since all k values are squared, the square root must be a positive value. but take k to be a negative number (-a) and say we don't actually compute the square of k and we just leave it in ##(-a)^2## form. we can do the following

(continued from previous)

=$$\sqrt{(-a)^2}\sqrt{(v_{1})^2+(v_{2})^2+(v_{3})^2+...}$$

in which case, the ##\sqrt{}## and the ##(-a)^2## can cancel out which would then return our original -k value which is negative. (where -k=-a)

i'm pretty sure there's an error some where in my line of reasoning though, could someone please find it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you're aware of it, but there were four copies of this post where it looked like you were trying different things in LaTeX. I deleted all but this one, which was the best of the lot.
iScience said:
say i have some vector ##\vec{v}## multiplied by a scalar k.

the norm of ##\vec{v}## would be just ##||\vec{v}||## and the norm of ##k\vec{v}## is claimed to be ##|k|||\vec{v}||## ie, ##||k\vec{v}||=|k|||\vec{v}||## ie the sign of the constant is irrelevant.

when i work it out..

$$||k\vec{v}||=\sqrt{(kv_{1})^2+(kv_{2})^2+(kv_{3})^2+...}$$
$$=\sqrt{k^2(v_{1})^2+k^2(v_{2})^2+k^2(v_{3})^2+...}=\sqrt{(k)^2[(v_{1})^2+(v_{2})^2+(v_{3})^2+...]}$$

(from this point, yes i could say that since all k values are squared, the square root must be a positive value. but take k to be a negative number and say we don't actually compute the square of k and we just leave it in $$(-k)^2$$ form. we can do the following)

=$$\sqrt{k^2}\sqrt{(v_{1})^2+(v_{2})^2+(v_{3})^2+...}$$

in which case, the ##\sqrt{}## and the ##k^2## can cancel out which would then return our original -k value which is negative.
No.
These operations don't just cancel out. ##\sqrt{x^2} = |x|##.

Think about it. Although ##\sqrt{4^2} = 4##, it's NOT true that ##\sqrt{(-4)^2} = -4##.
iScience said:
i'm pretty sure there's an error some where in my line of reasoning though, could someone please find it?

The norm of a vector is defined to be non-negative. So the norm of the vector -3 i is 3 and not -3.

The real operation √x is defined for non-negative x values. √x is the non-negative quantity which has the square equal to x:(√x)2=x. √x ≥0.

If a = -2, for example, and x=(-2)2, √x=√4=2.

√(x2)=|x| (the square root does not have memory :smile:)

ehild

well, if this is expressed in the following way:

$$\sqrt{x^2}=x^\frac{2}{2}$$

are you guys saying that if i have any fractional exponent $$\frac{x}{y}$$

where $$x\in even numbers , y\in\Re$$

that i can't simply simplify the exponent if y is an even number? if x is an even number then the quantity must be positive?

because i have done homework problems in the past where i have a quantity such as this

$$(-x)^\frac{2}{6}$$ and i reduced this to $$(-x)^\frac{1}{3}$$, solved the problem and have gotten them correct. how is this any different from my original inquiry??

iScience said:
well, if this is expressed in the following way:

$$\sqrt{x^2}=x^\frac{2}{2}$$

You can not express it that way.

ehild

1. What is scalar multiplication?

Scalar multiplication is a mathematical operation where a scalar (a single number) is multiplied to each element of a vector or matrix. This results in a new vector or matrix with the same dimensions as the original, but with each element multiplied by the scalar.

2. Why is it important to properly apply scalar multiplication?

Properly applying scalar multiplication is important because it follows the rules of mathematics and ensures accurate results. It also allows for efficient computation in linear algebra and is an essential concept in many scientific fields.

3. What is the property of scalar multiplication?

The property of scalar multiplication is that when a scalar is multiplied to a vector or matrix, each element of the vector or matrix is multiplied by the scalar. This means that the scalar can be distributed to each element in the vector or matrix.

4. How do I know if I have correctly applied scalar multiplication?

To ensure correct application of scalar multiplication, you should check that the dimensions of the original vector or matrix and the resulting vector or matrix are the same. Additionally, each element of the resulting vector or matrix should be the original element multiplied by the scalar.

5. Can scalar multiplication be applied to any type of vector or matrix?

Yes, scalar multiplication can be applied to any type of vector or matrix as long as the dimensions are compatible. This means that the scalar must be a single number and the vector or matrix must have the same number of rows and columns.