1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correction formula

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    so imagine you have an airplane traveling at an axis projecting a signal vertically down along AF axis and you have some point O on AF axis and a refference angle Sun-O-Plane . the plane gets affected by some rolling motion at a certain known angle.... now the axis shifts to A'F' and O become O' I drew a little picture to show my idea. I'm trying to come up wit a correction formula to find out what the new Sun-O'-Plane angle would be .The sun could be at any position. and the information known would be the S-o-P angle along with the planes altitude.

any feed backs guys would be great =)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• m.jpg
      m.jpg
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean.
    is the distance PO and PO' the same? Or are we to assume O and O' are on the ground (meaning the height doesn't vary)?
    If the first case is correct then your shaded region should be an isosceles triangle.
    If the second case is correct then you would have a right triangle.
    and in both cases one leg of the triangle is completely vertical.
    So, which case is it?

Or am I way off?

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    PO is different from PO' and O and O' lay on ground level which truely makes the shaded triangle right angled. also the height does not varry !
    The signal is projected vertically down at first than at an angle when roll motion takes place.

thank you...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook