1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corrosion - Passive films on 304/316L s/s?

1. Dec 1, 2007 #1
    Hi All,

In acidic conditions (pH not known, but do know there is presence of formic & sulphuric acid, chlorides + free water), is is possible for NiO to form in preference to CrO on Austenitic stainless steel - grade 304 or 316L?

I have a sample analysis from within 304/316L stainless material system of NiO, with traces of Mo & Fe formate. Additionally, Ni, Fe, Cr, Cl & S elements are picked up in the analysis.

I understand all the other analysis components, but re: NiO, my thoughts where that chromium oxide is not stable in low pH environments, and this may be the reason for NiO being found instead? I cannot find any text books with Pourbaix diagrams for alloys to look at stability of oxide films formed on s/s, only the pure metals. Presumably this is because of the complicated nature of alloy passive film behavior?

Further info: Operating temperature 140 - 160 deg C, with off-line period once a week for steam cleaning.

Any assistance most welcome!

Thanks

Crispin

:smile:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted