Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High Strength Steel with Corrosion Resistance and High Toughness

1. Aug 10, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I periodically browse the literature for new products. In the August 2006 issue of Advanced Materials & Process (from ASM International), I found an article on a new high strength steel from Carpenter Technology Corp. (Cartech)

Cartech Custom 465 (find it at www.cartech.com)

Custom 465 is an alternative to 17-4 PH steel, with more than twice the impact resistance as 17-4 PH

Composition (w/o)

Cr: 11-12.5
    Ni: 10.8-11.3
    Mo: 0.8-1.2
    Ti: 1.5-1.8
    Fe: bal

See US Patents: 5681528, 5855844

- Marine engine shafts

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy cow - 250 ksi in a stainless? That's like a maraging steel!! Amazing!

4. Aug 11, 2006 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:bugeye: ..... got to get some of that and try how it breaks & fails.

5. Aug 11, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I've used a fair amount of the custom alloys, especially 450. 465 has been around a bit. MMPDS has it listed in it's references, but the predescessor, MIL-HDBK-5H didn't.

I really wonder what they were thinking of when making a highly loaded shaft out of 17-4. That is not the best pick, especially with splines. My first selection would have been Inco 718.

6. Aug 11, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Composition and thermo-mechanical processing.

I don't know how well 718 would have held up in seawater.

I was wondering wondering how well AL-6XN® alloy (UNS N08367) would do. This is a specialty steel by Allegheny Ludlum for marine applications like landing gear on naval aircraft.

7. Aug 12, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

A lot of our shafts are 718 and they have to survive operating is salty environments. However they get the advantage of not having been completely immersed constantly over a period of time. I think I'll have to look into that part.

8. Feb 4, 2009 #7

I wonder how the fabrication characteristics of 465 compare to 17-4 , in terms of shrinkage and warping during heat treat?

9. Feb 5, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?