Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Corrosiveness of NaOH (Problem)

  1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    How bad would the ingestion of 10ml^3 of NaOH be, if there is just enough water for the NaOH to dissolve? (Also, what about 25ml^3)?

    I have seen acid burns on a hand of a person almost two days after contact, but if it was ingested in aqueous solution, how bad would the 10ml^3 be?

    Would this cause corrosion of the Esophagus?

    How bad would this be? if left for a couple of hours?

    I'm asking incase of accidental ingestion (due to the solution being colourless, although I know of course to label any container with the solution that it includes), however accidents do happen.

    Thank you.
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

    Borek

    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Bad enough to require medical attention.

    I don't see anything to discuss here. Topic locked.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Corrosiveness of NaOH (Problem)
  1. Standerising NaOH (Replies: 1)

  2. Extracting NaOH (Replies: 3)

  3. NaOH by electrolysis (Replies: 7)

Loading...