Corrosiveness of NaOH (Problem)

• Thread starter eggman100
  • Start date
In summary, ingestion of 10ml^3 of NaOH could cause serious harm and would require immediate medical attention. The potential for corrosion of the esophagus increases if left for a couple of hours. It is important to label all containers containing colorless solutions to prevent accidental ingestion.
eggman100
How bad would the ingestion of 10ml^3 of NaOH be, if there is just enough water for the NaOH to dissolve? (Also, what about 25ml^3)?

I have seen acid burns on a hand of a person almost two days after contact, but if it was ingested in aqueous solution, how bad would the 10ml^3 be?

Would this cause corrosion of the Esophagus?

How bad would this be? if left for a couple of hours?

I'm asking incase of accidental ingestion (due to the solution being colourless, although I know of course to label any container with the solution that it includes), however accidents do happen.

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Bad enough to require medical attention.

I don't see anything to discuss here. Topic locked.

What is NaOH and why is it corrosive?

NaOH, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a strong base that is highly corrosive. It is corrosive because it can react with and break down many materials, including organic substances, metals, and even human tissue.

How does NaOH cause corrosion?

NaOH causes corrosion by chemically reacting with the surface of a material. It can break down the bonds between molecules, weakening the structure of the material and causing it to degrade or dissolve.

What factors can affect the corrosiveness of NaOH?

The temperature and concentration of NaOH can greatly affect its corrosiveness. Higher temperatures and concentrations can increase the speed and severity of the corrosion process. The type of material being exposed to NaOH and the duration of exposure can also impact the level of corrosion.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling NaOH?

When working with NaOH, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat to prevent direct contact with the skin. It should also be handled in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. In case of skin or eye contact, the affected area should be flushed with water immediately.

How can corrosion caused by NaOH be prevented?

To prevent corrosion caused by NaOH, materials that are resistant to its corrosive properties should be used. This includes materials such as stainless steel, glass, and certain plastics. Proper storage and handling of NaOH can also help prevent accidental exposure and subsequent corrosion.